News Archive for Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Apple 802.11N AirPort Base Station/Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.4|
About AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.6.4
This update is available for all Apple 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule. It contains fixes that:
- Resolve an issue that may cause an IPv6 Tunnel error
(ref: v7.6.3 IPv6 Tunnel Error in router/NAT mode)
- Resolve an issue that may cause AirPort Time Capsule to report that the backup disk is in use (i.e. "sparsebundle in use")
- Resolve an issue that may intermittently cause a loss in Wi-Fi connectivity with iOS devices
Note: This firmware update is for all 802.11n AirPort base stations.
(New 802.11ac AE/TC models had v7.7.1 FW rel'd June 10th, 2013.)
For information on the security content of this update, visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
(Apple security updates page, no doc there on this update until Sept 6th - see below)
For detailed information on AirPort base station firmware updates, including instructions how to install the update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218 ("About AirPort base station firmware updates")
Update: It wasn't posted on Aug 13th when 7.6.4 was first released, but apple later posted the doc with details About the security content of AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.6.4.
You can check Apple's Airport and Time Capsule forums for feedback before updating.
(I've got a 2nd gen Dual-Band 802.11N AE base still using 7.6.1 firmware. Not had any reason to update yet.)
|Tip for OS X Epson Printer rastertoescpll quit unexpectedly/Filter Failure Error|
Reposting a tip that has helped several users that had printing problems ("rastertoescpll quit unexpectedly" error or "filter failure") after the recent Epson Printer update v2.15 (via Apple/Software Update). A very common problem apparently.
Check your System Preferences to see if the 'Sharing' preference pane has nothing entered for Computer Name. If it's blank, add a computer name and then restart the Mac and try printing again. (Epson support listed this and also suggested cycling power on the printer, but I don't think that's usually necessary.)
(Update: On 9/11/2013, Apple posted an Epson v2.15.1 update. No info on changes yet from apple but not checked if Epson has posted any details on the update - apple typically doesn't.)
|Misc News and Software Updates:
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Mouse or Magic Trackpad
- OS X Server (Mountain Lion): Configuring Web realm access for Active Directory or LDAP accounts
- iOS: How to back up and restore your content
- iTunes for Mac: How to copy purchases between computers
- iTunes: Transferring media from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iPod
- iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer
- Using the iTunes Store for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization
- iTunes Store: Viewing and downloading HD content on iPad
- iTunes Store: Where can I download and sync my purchases?
- How to report an issue with your iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, or iBooks Store purchase
- Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store and Mac App Store account without a credit card
Listing/links of mac mods, upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Monday August 12th, 2013 News Archive
- 2006 Mini T7600 (2.33GHz) Core2Duo CPU Swap and Mini 2,1 EFI Upgrade
- iWork for iCloud Hands-on: A Beautiful (if Bare Bones) Beta
- Apple restores developer site after weeks-long outage
- Anatomy of an Apple rumor: Sept. 10 iPhone launch event
- Why an Apple TV game console is a no-brainer
- Cocktail 6.6.1 (OS X Mountain Lion Edition)
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- OS X: About kernel panics
- OS X: Gray screen appears during startup
- Wireless input devices: Bluetooth FAQ
- iOS 6: Using Do Not Disturb
- iOS: Syncing your data with iTunes
- iOS: Understanding sounds, ringtones, and alerts
- About swapping the SIM card
- Boot Camp: Thunderbolt devices not recognized after Windows 8 upgrade (w/Fix)
- Mid-2013 MacBook Air: Keyboard/trackpad not working, black screen or alert messages when installing Windows 7
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!