News Archive for Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Low-Cost ($60) 2006 Mac Pro Dual Xeon Quad-Core CPU Upgrade:|
(From a reader mail. I assume CPUs were bought used on ebay like a recent under $50 8-core 2006 Xserve upgrade.)
"(Early Mac Pro Cheap 8-Core Upgrade)
I'm kind of late to the game, but I upgraded my Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) 4-core 2.66GHz (two dual-cores) to 8-core with 2 Xeon X5355's at 2.66GHz and I doubled my track count in Logic Pro, pretty cool for $60! (Ref: Intel X5355 CPU info.) I left it at 1,1 (EFI firmware/bootrom), it "gray screened" once at first, but it seems fine now.
I'm staying at OS X 10.6.8 because audio apps just work better there and I have older software that won't be upgraded that I still want to use. (I understand completely - Snow Leopard was the last w/Rosetta support. Although some software requires later OS versions.) Lots of new audio/recording apps still work fine with 10.6.8, they seem to recognize the problems with 10.7 and 10.8.
When the price goes down, I may put 3GHz Quads in there now that I see how well the 2.66 quads work, and get another boost. It was a little weird but not super hard putting them in.
Previous reports on the Mac mods/upgrades page, some like 2006 Mac Pro Clovertown (Quad core) CPU Swaps Revisited include links to cpu swap guides/video. (And an Aug 1st 2012 archive has a report on 2006 Mac Pro Mountain Lion Install.)
= From my Site Sponsor =
Accelsior_E2 PCIe SSD with Dual eSATA III Ports
Mac bootable PCIe SSD with 2 eSATA III Ports
Up to 823MB/s read and 783MB/s write speeds
Also can be used in Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis
Already have your own SSDs?
Use them in a Tempo SSD or Tempo Pro SSD SATA3 PCIe Adapter card
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/Tips/Rumors:
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Tuesday July 9th, 2013 News Archive
- Apple 1 Sells for $387,750 at Christie's Auction
- Problems with Thermaltake 5G USB 3.0 Cased Drives (apple forum thread)
- Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion Pack Now Available
- Pandora Radio App v4.4 Update (iOS) w/Auto-Pause, 'Stutter-Free' Playback
- Apple, Amazon end 'app store' lawsuit
- iOS 7 Beta 3: What's the Big Deal?
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
- iTunes Store: Closed captioning
- Other News/Reviews/Updates/Tech/OT:
- The Joys of 802.11ac WiFi
- Patch Tuesday: Adobe, Microsoft Release Critical Updates
- Feds Mistakenly Destroy $170K Worth of IT Equipment (costing taxpayers $2.7M)
- Newer Tech Earns Parent Tested Parent Approved Seal of Approval
- Rockstar Teases Grand Theft Auto V With 5-Minute Gameplay Trailer
- Dropbox aims to replace the hard drive altogether
- Innoio (Tiny) Smart Beam Pico Projector Tests
- Review: Dead Man Down (Blu-ray)
- CinemaNow to Stream DTS
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
(wider selection below)
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 8 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!