News Archive for Monday, July 15th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS Updates/Wi-Fi
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|(USB 3.0) 802.11ac WiFi Adapter with Mac OS X Support:|
Although not shipping until July 22nd, Amped's $89.99 ACA1 802.11ac adapter (USB 3.0) lists Mac Support - OS X 10.4 (?) to 10.8 on the specs page. (With reminder on lower performance if used w/USB 2.0 port.) Although more expensive than the D-Link DWA-180 802.11ac Dual Band (USB 2.0) Adapter ($52.99 list), in addition to faster USB 3.0 (vs 2.0), the ACA1 also appears to have better antennas/design than a USB stick. (Hopefully interference with 2.4GHz WiFi/BT won't be an issue like some USB 3.0 drives.)
If any reader tries either of these (or any other 802.11ac adapter with mac support), let me know. (Please include mac/os/base details - Thanks!)
Update: The (2x2) Asus USB-AC56 802.11ac adapter is USB 3.0 and their specs page lists support for OS X 10.5 thru 10.8. (Drivers page download for Mac OS X includes drivers for OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8.)
(FYI: I've added these to a later page on Mac/OS X Compatible 802.11ac adapters/cards that also includes info on PCIe cards.)
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/Op-Ed/Rumors:
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles: (incl. weekend)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Friday July 12th, 2013 News Archive
- Review of OWC Envoy Pro EX SSD
- Review of Max Payne 3 for Mac
- Google's Schmidt says relationship with Apple has improved
- TinkerTool System Release 2 v3.2
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Docs:
- About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion
- Mac notebooks with built-in batteries: How to service or replace the battery
- Apple Earbuds and static electricity
- Identifying iPhone models
- Apple TV: Depending on country, what content can I buy or rent from iTunes Store?
- Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod
- Syncing and troubleshooting iPod games
- Archived - Motion 4: Troubleshooting basics
- Can't burn a CD in iTunes for Windows
- iOS: Troubleshooting Siri
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!