News Archive for Thursday, July 18th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|2013 MacBook Air Update lists Fixes for WiFi, Flicker and Audio:|
(download page linked)
MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2013) models.
This update fixes an issue that in rare instances may cause an intermittent loss in wireless connectivity, an issue with Adobe Photoshop which may cause occasional screen flickering, and an issue which may cause audio volume to fluctuate during video playback.
System Requirements: OS X 10.8.4 build version 12E3067
Here's a thread in apple's forum on MacBook Air WiFi problems with some (growing) feedback.
|eSATA Mini-PCIe Card Mod in 17in MacBook Pro:|
Guy sent notes and a couple (large) photos on how (and why) he modded his 17in MacBook Pro (C2D) to use a Mini-PCIe eSATA card in the airport card slot. (Same eSATA card used in previous articles on this mod in 2006/7 Minis and some iMacs.)
Of course most would just use a 2 port Expresscard (which he's also using) and as the author says "Obviously, this isn't something one would do to a laptop that is still used as a portable, but if you have one running as a media server this is a great solution for adding another two port multiplier eSATA ports". (4 ports total with this mod and the expresscard.)
While on the subject, I'm wondering if anyone has found a mac compatible (w/drivers) USB 3.0 Mini-PCIe card for modding a (mini-PCIe slot) older Mini or iMac. The question came up back in April - found one (NEC based) but only Windows drivers. (Or an 802.11ac card with OS X drivers, although there's already USB 802.11ac adapters with Mac support.)
|Apple/products related News/Tips/Software Updates:
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
= From my Sponsor =
miniStack MAX, 4-in-1 Storage Solution
Combines an external drive, optical drive, SD card reader + USB powered hub. Interfaces: 2x USB3.0/2.0, eSATA, 2x FW800 and USB charging port. Available with up to 4TB HD (+ Blu-Ray writer or CD/DVD writer/Blu-Ray-reader) or as an enclosure kit (add your own drive(s))
[Several 0GB Enclosure kits and optical drives on site specials page]
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (Low-Cost CPU Upgrades for early Mac Pros/Xserves, DIY 8800GT video card repair, OS X SSD Trim Enablers, Internal Mini-PCIe Card Mods, 2012 Mac Mini SSD upgrades, DIY OS X Fusion drives, 2006-08 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips, mods and more.)
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Wednesday July 17th, 2013 News Archive
- Review: (Mid-2013) 11-inch MacBook Air
- Let's Talk About RAID (sponsor blog)
- Tumblr: Important security update for iPhone/iPad users
- TextWrangler 4.5.3 and BBEdit 10.5.5 Updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.3.6 Update
- Google Maps 2.0 for iOS w/iPad support, live traffic/incident reports
- Apple looks to pick off engineers from Amazon, OpenStack to build out iCloud
- Apple May Delay Introduction of IPhone 5S, Commercial Times Says
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- How to avoid or remove Mac Defender malware
- OS X product security: Certifications & validations
- Compressor 4: Troubleshooting Basics
- How to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari
- iCloud: Limits for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders and Bookmarks
- Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen): Troubleshooting playback performance
- Apple TV (2nd gen): TV displays incorrect colors when playing content
- AirPort bases: IPv6 Tunnel Error after installing firmware 7.6.3 in router/NAT mode
- iTunes for Windows 7 or Vista: Troubleshooting quits, freezes or launch issues
- iTunes for Windows: Quits unexpectedly....
- Other News/Tech/Reviews/OT:
- Review: Pebble Watch Is a Great Way to Be Bugged
- Review: Kreisel DXD-12012 subwoofer
- Touch Screen IDs Users via Fingerprints
- Ford Offers Software Fix After Hybrid Mileage Comes Up Short
- Researchers Find Security Cracks in Google Glass
- Five E-Commerce Security Tips
- Dogs Remember as Well as Humans
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!