|Archive of May 25th to 29th, 2020 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|macOS 10.15.5, Safari 13.1.1, Security Update 2020-003 for Mojave & High Sierra|
- See Details and Downloads of Updaters.
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.18 Update|
See CCC 5.1.18 release notes for details on 6 improvements, including
addressing issues noted with macOS 10.15.5 in an earlier blog post.
(Available via in-app update or full download at bombich.com/download.)
|Safari Technology Preview 107|
The Safari Technology Preview 107 release notes lists improvements to
Download available for macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
= from my sponsor =
|Little Snitch 4.5.2 (Bug and Security Fix)|
May 26th version 4.5.2 update to Little Snitch. (For macOS 10.11 or later.)
Here's info on fixes from the release notes:
The release notes also included this statement from the developer in red:
- Fixes a local privilege escalation issue (CVE-2020-13095). By exploiting this vulnerability, users logged in to the computer can gain root privileges, but they cannot circumvent System Integrity Protection. Details about this issue will be revealed later.
- Fixes an issue in the connection alert causing the user's host/domain choice to be ignored under some rare circumstances.
"We highly recommend to update to this version soon because it fixes a possible privilege escalation"
|Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 3.3.23|
Info from Apple's What's new in firmware updates for the Pro Display XDR.
"Learn about changes and features included in Display Firmware 3.3.23, the most recent firmware update to Pro Display XDR.
The article includes how to check your display firmware version.
Display Firmware 3.3.23Adds controls to fine tune the current calibration of Pro Display XDR by adjusting the white point and luminance to more precisely match your own in-house display calibration target. Learn more
Minor stability improvements.
Requires macOS 10.15.5 or later."
|DisplayLink v5.2.4 USB Software Update for macOS Catalina & Mojave|
The DisplayLink macOS USB Software page has v5.2.4 software for macOS Catalina and Mojave. (Software for older macOS versions are down the main page under "Legacy Drivers".)
Here's their note on macOS 10.15 Catalina and DisplayLink kernel extension:
"Information about macOS 10.15
Some users updating to 10.15 have found their DisplayLink devices have stopped working. 5.2 software is designed to run on Mac OS 10.15, but the OS can disable our kernel extension during the update. Please check the kernel extension is enabled and screen recording is also enabled, to ensure DisplayLink enabled devices continue to work when migrating to 10.15."
|CCC notes a macOS 10.15.5 Bug impacts Creating Bootable Backups|
(May 29, 2020 Update: This issue is now addressed in Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.18.)
The author of Carbon Copy Cloner has a blog post on a bug in macOS 10.15.5 that impacts creating bootable backups. Here's a clip:
"A bug in macOS 10.15.5 impacts bootable backups, but we've got you covered
The full blog has more details & tips on "Creating bootable backups in a post-10.15.5 world".
Early last week we discovered an APFS filesystem bug in a beta of macOS 10.15.5. The technical details of the bug are laid out below, but the short version is that we're no longer able to use our own file copier to establish an initial bootable backup of a macOS Catalina System volume. To be very clear - existing backups are unaffected, and this has no effect on CCC's ability to preserve your data, nor any effect on the integrity of the filesystems on your startup disk or your backup disk. The impact of this bug is limited to the initial creation of a bootable backup...
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Updates, PR (later added first)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.|
|Other News, Updates, Reviews, and Tips (later added first)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
May 18th to 22nd, 2020 News Archive
- Xcode 11.5 (bug and security fixes)
- iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, iOS 12.4.7 Updates
- tvOS 13.4.5 and HomePod 13.4.5 Updates
- How to Use Time-Synced Lyrics with Apple Music in macOS Catalina
- Pixelmator for iOS version 2.5.3 (for iOS 11.0 or later)
- TextEdit's Hidden Talents (open/save Word Docs, HTML editor, More)
- Apple, Google's Covid-19 Tool Gives Health Authorities More Data (
- How to EQ the System Audio on a Mac
- Reminder on free Room EQ Wizard (REW) for Mac
- Pixelmator Pro 1.6.3 (bug fixes/improvements)
- watchOS 6.2.5 release notes/security fixes
- watchOS 5.3.7 release notes/security fixes.
- OWC ThunderBay FLEX 8 Receives 2020 Best of Show Award
- Dorico 3.5: More Powerful, More Refined (music notation software)
- Download Apple ProRes RAW for Windows 1.1 (Windows 10 64-bit)
- Chrome 83.0.4103.61 stable channel update (w/38 security fixes)
- Kingston KC2500 M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD Review
- Silicon Power PC60 960GB Portable SSD Review
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!