|Latest News: macOS Big Sur 11.5.1, iOS/iPadOS 14.7.1 updates.|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 (build 20G80) released (security fix)|
Available via software update. Includes security fix for a vulnerability being exploited.
Info from what's new in macOS Big Sur 11.5.1:
"macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 provides important security updates and is recommended for all users."
A M1 Mini owner running Big Sur 11.5 said software update listed the 11.5.1 update as 2.2GB, but the actual 11.5.1 update download was 3.11GB. She installed both 11.5 and 11.5.1 updates in Safe Mode. (The same advice on updates mentioned earlier applies.)
|iOS 14.7.1 and iPadOS 14.7.1 released (includes security fix)
|Safari Technology Preview 128|
See the release notes for a list of new features and improvements.
A download is available for macOS Big Sur and Betas of macOS Monterey.
(If a previous version is installed in Big Sur, use software update in System Prefs.)
|Firefox 90.0.2 Update (bug fixes)|
July 22 Firefox 90.0.2 release notes lists 3 bug fixes.
(Download links are on release notes page.)
|macOS Big Sur 11.5 (build 20G71) released|
(See above for Big Sur 11.5.1 update with a security fix.)
Available via software update. Info from What's new in macOS Big Sur 11.5:
"macOS Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for your Mac:
Here's info on What's new for enterprise in macOS Big Sur 11.5:
- Podcasts Library tab allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows.
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Music may not update play count and last played date in your library.
- Smart cards may not work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip."
Here's the article on security fixes in macOS Big Sur 11.5 (very long list).
- MDM administrators can use the new SetRecoveryLock command to set a password on a Mac with Apple silicon that will be required to enter macOS Recovery.
- MDM administrators can now use the DeviceLock command to lock a Mac with Apple silicon with a six-digit PIN and an optional message.
- Resolves an issue where network extensions that require Rosetta 2 fail to load on first startup after a software update.
- Resolves an issue where System Profiler becomes unresponsive when collecting hardware data.
- SmartCard login no longer fails on Mac computers with Apple silicon when using the checkCertificateTrust key.
- Resolves an issue where MDM app installations may fail when using a proxy configured with a PAC file.
- Resolves an issue where Mac computers with Apple silicon boot to recoveryOS after using
(Make sure you have a backup before updating. I reboot and update with no apps running. If using any 3rd party Security software, disable or remove it before updating, and make sure you have adequate free space on the volume. (Apple doesn't list required space for Big Sur updates, but lists 35GB or more for upgrades from previous macOS.) If you have trouble installing the update, try updating from Safe Mode. If all else fails, try downloading the full macOS install from the App store.)
Check for feedback in Apple's Big Sur forum. (Replies may be in previous problem threads.)
And for M1 owners, also check the Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Pro, & MacBook Air forums.
|Security Updates for macOS Catalina & Mojave|
Available via software update. (Will post download pages when spotted.)
You can check for user feedback in Apple's Mojave and Catalina forums.
(The same advice about updates mentioned earlier applies.)
|Safari 14.1.2, iPadOS 14.7, iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6 released|
(See above for iOS 14.7.1 and iPadOS 14.7.1 update.)
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later items first)|
|HomePod Software Update 14.7|
From July 19 about HomePod Software Updates for version 14.7.
"Software version 14.7 allows users to manage timers directly from the Home app on iPhone and iPad. This update also includes general performance and stability improvements."
|iMovie 10.2.5 update for macOS|
Changes in Mac iMovie version 10.2.5 (for macOS 10.15.6 or later)
- Improves stability when exporting with certain macOS Language & Region preferences.
|Apple Beta Updates and Release Candidates [= skip =]|
Current Developer releases as of July 19, 2021.
("RC" is Release Candidate, used to be called "GM Seed".)
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- macOS Big Sur 11.5 RC (20G71)
(Below from July 16)
- Xcode 13 beta 3 (13A5192j)
(Below from July 14)
- macOS Monterey beta 3 (21A5284e)
- iOS 15 beta 3 (19A5297e)
- iPadOS 15 beta 3 (19A5297e)
- tvOS 15 beta 3 (19J5304d)
- watchOS 8 beta 3 (19R5302f)
(Public beta version updates are usually shortly after developer releases.)
|Firefox 90.0.1 Update (bug fixes)|
(See above for July 22 Firefox 90.0.2 update.)
July 19 Firefox 90.0.1 release notes lists 5 bug fixes.
|Other News, Software and Firmware Updates, PR, OT (later first)
= from my sponsor =
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first) [= skip =]|
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- (How to) Access and manage files in your iCloud Drive (July 22)
(originally titled "iCloud Drive FAQ")
- How to free up storage space on your Mac (July 21)
- Use Apple Podcasts on your Mac (July 21)
- Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters (July 20)
- If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac (July 19)
(was titled "Get help with video problems on external displays connected to your Mac")
- (How to) Use Apple Podcasts on your iPhone or iPad (July 19)
- (How to) Add a HomeKit accessory to the Home app (July 19)
- If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar (July 16)
- Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive (July 16)
- (How to) Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K (July 16)
- How to clean your Apple products (July 16)
- Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (July 9)
- Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag (July 9)
- If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod (July 8)
- If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod (July 8)
- If your iPad won't charge (July 9)
- How to erase a disk for Intel-based Mac (July 6)
- Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty (June 30)
- originally titled "Vintage and Obsolete products".
- If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS (June 28)
- (How to) Update macOS on Mac (June 28)
- Wearing your AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, EarPods, or Beats devices (June 25)
- If you can't send or receive email on your Mac (June 25)
- Get help with your Mac notebook battery (June 24)
- About battery health management in (Apple Silicon) Mac notebooks (June 24)
- (How to) Delete spam calendars and events on iPhone (June 24)
- If your AirPods won't connect (June 24)
- If you get a personalization error when reinstalling macOS on a M1 chip Mac (June 21)
- If your left or right AirPod isn't working (June 21)
- About the security content of iMovie 10.2.4 (June 17)
- Use an external graphics processor with your Mac (June 15)
- iOS update and restore errors (June 15)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
July 12th to 16th, 2021 News Archive
- Logic Pro 10.6.3 and MainStage 3.5.3 Updates.
- Firefox 90.0 & Firefox ESR 78.12 updates.
- Testing macOS Monterey in a Parallels Virtual Machine.
- UTM: Run Virtual Machines on Your Apple Silicon M1 Mac.
- Micromat TechTool Pro 14.0.2 update.
- Microsoft Office for Mac (365/2019) v16.51.
- Pixelmator for iOS v2.6.4 (bug fix).
- iOS GarageBand version 2.3.11 update.
- iOS Firefox Focus: Privacy browser version 35.0.
- How to Prevent Emails From Tracking You in macOS Mail.
- Apple scores 35 Emmy nominations.
- iOS Clips app version 3.1.1 update (bug fixes).
- Chrome 91.0.4472.164 Stable Channel Update.
- Firmware Updates for Yamaha Receivers, Sound Bars, & CX-A5200.
- LG BX OLED TVs Firmware Update 03.23.25
- LG B8/C8/E8/W8 OLED TVs firmware update 05.30.20.
- Microsoft July 2021 Patch Tuesday details.
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= MAC UPGRADES =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= New/Used Macs =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 8TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
= NuGuard KX Cases =
*Extreme* Drop Tested!