|Current News: (Thunderbolt 4, New Betas, iWork Apps, Firefox 78.0.2, Big Sur Beta Install)
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|Apple Beta Updates|
Current Developer releases (updated July 9).
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- macOS Catalina 10.15.6 beta 4 (19G71a)
- iOS 13.6 beta 4 (17G68)
- iPadOS 13.6 beta 4 (17G68)
- watchOS 6.2.8 beta 4 (17U63)
- tvOS 13.4.8 beta 4 (17M61)
(Below from July 7.)
- macOS Big Sur beta 2 (20A4300b)
- Xcode 12 beta 2 (12A6163b)
- Xcode 12 for macOS Universal Apps beta 2 (12A8161k
- iOS 14 beta 2 (18A5319i)
- iPadOS 14 beta 2 (18A5319i)
- watchOS 7 beta 2 (18R5327h)
- tvOS 14 beta 2 (18J5331g)
|Updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps for Mac and iOS|
(Mac apps require macOS 10.14 or later, iOS apps require iOS 12 or later.)
|Firefox 78.0.2 Update (bug and security fixes)|
July 9th Firefox 78.0.2 release notes has bug fixes and a security fix.
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Op-Ed, PR (later added first)
= from my sponsor =
|SoftRAID 5.8.4 Update (new features/bug fixes)|
SoftRAID version 5.8.4 available for download now, "includes important bug fixes and changes that improve SoftRAID compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina".
"New features in version 5.8.4
Adds a feature which warns the user if Secure Boot is enabled. This warning appears when the SoftRAID application is first launched, Secure Boot is enabled and a SoftRAID disk is attached.
Adds ability to sign up for the SoftRAID News email list.
Adds a work-around for a kernel panic bug which was introduced in macOS 10.15. This bug causes a kernel panic when an HFS+ volume is created on a 4Kn HDD (a disk with 4 KB sectors) which is housed in a USB 3 or USB 3.1 enclosure.
Adds support for Mercury Elite Pro Dual U2 enclosures to SoftRAID XT & SoftRAID Lite XT.
See the release notes PDF for more details and known bugs. A free 30 Day Trial is available.
Bugs fixed in version 5.8.4
Fixes a bug which could prevent the Mac from restarting after uninstalling SoftRAID.
Fixes a bug which caused the SoftRAID application to be relaunched after a restart when the user had just uninstalled SoftRAID.
Adds code to ensure that SSDs are always the primary disks in RAID 1+0 volumes which contain equal numbers of SSDs and HDDs. This code gets run when RAID 1+0 volumes are created and at the end of a RAID 1+0 volume rebuild.
(OWC also has a blog post on SoftRAID 5.8.4.)
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)|
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
|Other News, Reviews, Software Updates, Tips, OT (later added first)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
June 29th to July 3rd, 2020 News Archive
- Apple adds Radeon Pro W5500X MPX Module for 2019 Mac Pro
- Radeon Pro W5500X MPX Module at Apple Store (online)
- Firefox 78.0.1/78.0 and Firefox ESR 68.10 Updates
- Apple Closes More Stores Again After Covid-19 Surge
- What is Thunderbolt-Certified vs. Thunderbolt-Compatible?
- Apple Cancels Some Arcade Games in Strategy Shift to Keep Subscribers
- Apple honors eight developers with annual Apple Design Awards
- Apple Silicon - an Eventual ARM Up on the Competition?
- $68 pre-order for Envoy Express Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure
- Open Broadcaster Software Chapter 4: Recordings and Streams
- Intel Lakefield Deep Dive: About the First x86 Hybrid CPU
- Samsung 870 QVO (1TB & 4TB) SSD Review: QLC Refreshed
- ADATA Swordfish 1TB M.2 SSD Review
- Vizio Unveils 2020 TVs, Including Its First OLED
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!