|Current News: (5/29 added CCC 5.1.18, Nvidia Driver Update, Tips/PR)
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | macOS Updates/Tips/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.18 Update|
See CCC 5.1.18 release notes for details on 6 improvements, including
addressing issues noted with macOS 10.15.5 in the earlier blog post.
(Available via in-app update or full download at bombich.com/download.)
|Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-003) [= skip =]|
May 29, 2020 download page of graphics driver 3188.8.131.52.40.136 for macOS 10.13.6.
(No build number listed, but assumed for Security Update 2020-003 build.)
As before, download page info includes this installation note.
"Installation Note: The installer requires System Preferences to be launched during the installation process. Do not manually close System Preferences until after clicking Allow in the Security & Privacy Preferences, later in the process.
The "Additional Information" tab on the download page has a step-by-step install guide.
The installer also requires rebooting the system after the installation process. Do not launch any other applications until the process is complete and the system has been rebooted.
New in Release 3184.108.40.206.40.136"
(No new info, same notes on D/L page as previous drivers, so I won't repeat it here.)
If you can't select the page's 'Accept' terms/conditions button, here's a direct download link.
(As of post time, the above driver download page's CUDA link goes to CUDA 418.105 from Feb. 27th, 2019, but the latest Mac CUDA download as of 5/29/2020 is CUDA 418.163 from May 10th, 2019 - or check for a CUDA update in the Nvidia prefs.)
Previous macOS Nvidia drivers are on our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.
|Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 3.3.23|
Info from Apple's What's new in firmware updates for the Pro Display XDR.
"Learn about changes and features included in Display Firmware 3.3.23, the most recent firmware update to Pro Display XDR.
The article includes how to check your display firmware version.
Display Firmware 3.3.23Adds controls to fine tune the current calibration of Pro Display XDR by adjusting the white point and luminance to more precisely match your own in-house display calibration target. Learn more
Minor stability improvements.
Requires macOS 10.15.5 or later."
|Safari Technology Preview 107|
The Safari Technology Preview 107 release notes lists improvements to
Download available for macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|CCC notes a macOS 10.15.5 Bug impacts Creating Bootable Backups|
(May 29, 2020 Update: This issue is now addressed in Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.18.)
The author of Carbon Copy Cloner has a blog post on a bug in macOS 10.15.5 that impacts creating bootable backups. Here's a clip:
"A bug in macOS 10.15.5 impacts bootable backups, but we've got you covered
The full blog has more details & tips on "Creating bootable backups in a post-10.15.5 world".
Early last week we discovered an APFS filesystem bug in a beta of macOS 10.15.5. The technical details of the bug are laid out below, but the short version is that we're no longer able to use our own file copier to establish an initial bootable backup of a macOS Catalina System volume. To be very clear - existing backups are unaffected, and this has no effect on CCC's ability to preserve your data, nor any effect on the integrity of the filesystems on your startup disk or your backup disk. The impact of this bug is limited to the initial creation of a bootable backup...
|macOS 10.15.5, Safari 13.1.1, Security Update 2020-003 for Mojave & High Sierra|
Available via software update, or the download pages below.
Long list of fixes (some under "Enterprise Content") in the macOS 10.15.5 release notes.
(macOS 10.15.5 also adds battery health management for Mac notebooks.)
Here's the article on security fixes in macOS 10.15.5 and Security Updates 2020-003 for macOS 10.14.6 & 10.13.6, and article on security fixes in Safari 13.1.1. (Safari 13.1.1 available for macOS 10.14.6/10.13.6, included in macOS 10.15.5.)
Note: For 10.15.5 & Security Update 2020-003 - "Major new releases of macOS are no longer hidden when using the softwareupdate(8) command with the --ignore flag". (Some users did that to prevent update nags.)
FYI: If you use Nvidia's web graphics drivers for 10.13.6, the Security Update new build number requires a driver update.
Update - See above May 29th Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for 10.13.6.
= from my sponsor =
|Little Snitch 4.5.2 (Bug and Security Fix)|
May 26th version 4.5.2 update to Little Snitch. (For macOS 10.11 or later.)
Here's info on fixes from the release notes:
The release notes also included this statement from the developer in red:
- Fixes a local privilege escalation issue (CVE-2020-13095). By exploiting this vulnerability, users logged in to the computer can gain root privileges, but they cannot circumvent System Integrity Protection. Details about this issue will be revealed later.
- Fixes an issue in the connection alert causing the user's host/domain choice to be ignored under some rare circumstances.
"We highly recommend to update to this version soon because it fixes a possible privilege escalation"
|DisplayLink v5.2.4 USB Software Update for macOS Catalina & Mojave|
The DisplayLink macOS USB Software page has v5.2.4 software for macOS Catalina and Mojave. (Software for older macOS versions are down the main page under "Legacy Drivers".)
Here's their note on macOS 10.15 Catalina and DisplayLink kernel extension:
"Information about macOS 10.15
Some users updating to 10.15 have found their DisplayLink devices have stopped working. 5.2 software is designed to run on Mac OS 10.15, but the OS can disable our kernel extension during the update. Please check the kernel extension is enabled and screen recording is also enabled, to ensure DisplayLink enabled devices continue to work when migrating to 10.15."
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Updates, PR (later added first) [= skip =]|
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.|
|Xcode 11.5, iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, iOS 12.4.7, tvOS 13.4.5, HomePod 13.4.5 Updates
|Other News, Software Updates, Reviews, Tips, OT (later added first)
- Download Windows Migration Assistant v220.127.116.11 (Mojave)
(System requirements lists macOS Mojave or later, Windows 7 or later.)
- OWC Grabs ABA Gold for Mercury Elite Pro Dock & ThunderBay 4 mini (sponsor pr)
- Security Updates for Adobe Audition, Character Animator, Premiere Pro, Premiere Rush (Adobe bulletins note Windows version is vulnerable, but updates for Mac also.)
- 4TB OWC Aura P12 NVMe M.2 SSD Review (storagereview)
- 4TB OWC Envoy Pro EX Review (storagereview)
- About the security content of iCloud for Windows 11.2
- About the security content of iCloud for Windows 7.19
- About the security content of iTunes 12.10.7 for Windows
- Updated Audio/Home Theater page with separate list of Tips for AVR, TV & Disc Players
(was mixed in with the TV, AVR, Amp & Player Firmware Updates listing).
- OWC ThunderBay FLEX 8 Receives 2020 Best of Show Award (sponsor pr)
- Dorico 3.5: More Powerful, More Refined (music notation software) (press release)
PR above doesn't note Mac requirements but Steinberg's Dorico 3 Updates/Downloads lists macOS 10.12-10.15. (As of post time, Updates page doesn't have v3.5 yet.)
- Download page for Apple ProRes RAW for Windows 1.1 (Windows 10 64-bit)
"This software enables playback of ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ video files in compatible applications on Windows systems."
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Media Encoder
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Premiere Rush
- Chrome 83.0.4103.61 stable channel update includes 38 security fixes.
- Kingston KC2500 M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD Review (storagereview)
- Silicon Power PC60 960GB Portable SSD Review (storagereview)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software/driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
May 11th to 15th, 2020 News Archive
- Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.17 Update
- Logic Pro X 10.5 (major update)
- Logic Remote iOS App v1.4 update
- Safari Technology Preview 106 (for Catalina & Mojave)
- Tip to Fix Kernel Panics with PCIe SSD Card in 2019 Mac Pro
- Microsoft Office for Mac (365/2019) v16.37 (w/Excel security fix)
- Tips for Safari 13 can't establish secure connection to idmsa.apple.com
- VIDEO: OWC ThunderBay 8 Drive Installation
- Apple acquires startup NextVR that broadcasts VR content
- Ubisoft Sues Apple, Google Over Alibaba's Rainbow Six "Ripoff"
- Security Updates for Acrobat and Reader
- Security Update for Adobe DNG Software Development Ki
- Freeware VM VirtualBox version 6.1.8 update (change log)
- NVIDIA's New Ampere Data Center GPU in Full Production
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!