|Current News: (watchOS 6.1.3 and 5.3.5 Updates, Firefox and Chrome Updates)
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/macOS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later added first)
|Recent Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.|
= from my sponsor =
|Pixelmator Pro 1.5.5 Update|
Pixelmator Pro version 1.5.5 (for macOS 10.13 or later, with 64-bit processor) "brings big improvements to ML Super Resolution and ML Denoise and includes a number of additional improvements and fixes". (See linked app store page or Pixelmator Pro page for more details.)
|Firefox 73.0 and Firefox ESR 68.5.0 Updates|
(Update: See Other News listing for Firefox 73.0.1 w/bug fixes for windows/linux.)
Firefox 73.0 includes:
Firefox ESR 68.5.0 update has security fixes.
- Security Fixes.
- Improved audio quality when playing back audio at a faster or slower speed.
- Firefox will now only prompt you to save logins if a field in a login form was modified.
- 2 features that help users view and read website content more easily, quickly.
- New global default zoom level setting and "readability backplate" solution.
- WebRender will roll out to laptops with Nvidia graphics cards with drivers newer than 432.00, and screen sizes smaller than 1920x1200.
(There's another Chrome update in the Other News listing.)
|Security Updates for Acrobat and Reader, Flash Player, Experience Manager|
February 11th Adobe security bulletins on updates for:
(The Other News listing has updates for Framemaker & Digital Editions for Windows.)
|Safari Technology Preview 100 released|
Download available for macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.15 Update|
See CCC 5.1.15 release notes for details on 15 fixes/improvements.
(Available via in-app update or full download at bombich.com/download.)
|Developer Beta Updates|
Current Developer releases (updated Feb. 10th).
Apple also has Public betas. See Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.
- TestFlight Update
(the following are from Feb. 5th)
- Xcode 11.4 beta (11N111s)
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4 beta (19E224g)
- iOS 13.4 beta (17E5223h)
- iPadOS 13.4 beta (17E5223h)
- tvOS 13.4 beta (17L5225g)
- watchOS 6.2 beta (17T5224g)
|Nvidia Geforce NOW Info and Mac Requirements [= skip =]|
(Due to reader interest, moved this from the other news section and added more info.)
Nvidia announced its cloud gaming service GeForce NOW is Open for All "Waitlist removed, memberships now available for everyone". (Clips from the post follows.)
"Your old laptop never gamed like this before. That Mac, which for years has seen fewer games published for it or lost compatibility, can now play the latest games...
GeForce NOW lets you use the cloud to join in. It's the power to play PC games anywhere, on any device - even the billion devices that aren't game ready. You're upgrading to a state-of-the-art gaming rig by virtually adding a GeForce graphics card to your PC, Mac, SHIELD or Android phone.
Just like the PC, GeForce NOW is an open platform. It's powered by our world-class GPU architecture and uses our Game Ready Drivers for the best performance. And, because these are real PC games, GeForce NOW gives you the precision of keyboard and mouse gaming, as well as optimizations for game controllers.
For a limited time, we're offering the premium experience as a Founders membership. The first three months are free, followed by a discounted rate of $4.99 a month for all of 2020."
Here's info from the macOS System Requirements.
More info at the Geforce NOW home page and system requirements page.
Your macOS must be 10.10 or better.
(Requirements page has info on Keyboards, Mice, and Gamepads, not repeated here.)
GeForce NOW requires at least 15Mbps for 720p at 60fps and 25Mbps for 1080p at 60fps.
You'll need to use a hardwired Ethernet connection or 5GHz wireless router.
If your MacBook or notebook doesn't have an Ethernet port, you may need to use an Ethernet adapter. Please see this Knowledge Base article for a list of tested adapters.
Mac Hardware Requirements
We've tested and verified that the following Macs have sufficient video decoding performance to stream GeForce NOW.
- iMac 20" Late 2009 and newer
- iMac 21.5" Late 2009 and newer
- iMac 27" Late 2012 and newer
- MacBook 2008 and newer
- MacBook Retina Mid 2017 and newer
- MacBook Air 11" Early 2015 and newer
- MacBook Air 13" Late 2008 and newer
- MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 and newer
- MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 and newer
- MacBook Pro 17" 2009 and newer
- Mac Pro Late 2013 and newer
|Other News, Firmware/Software Updates, Reviews, Tips, OT (later added first)
- Chrome 80.0.3987.116 stable channel update (google)
- Firefox 73.0.1 release notes (mozilla)
- Several bug fixes for Windows and Linux.
- Firmware Updates for 2016 LG OLED TV models B6, C6, E6, and G6
(FYI: The C6/E6 update now dated Feb. 18, was 17. D/L file ID, Date changed.)
- WD Red 14TB NAS HDD Review (storagereview)
- AT 101: Wi-Fi 6 And Why You Want It (anandtech)
- Sony UBP-X1100ES, UBP-X800M2 4K/UHD Player Firmware Update
- Plugable TBT3-UDV Dock Review (storagereview)
- 6,000 Tabs of Google Chrome on 2019 Mac Pro with 1.5TB RAM (sponsor blog)
- Intel Releases Security Updates (us-cert)
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday for February 2020 (isc.sans)
- Security Updates for Adobe Framemaker and Digital Editions (Windows versions)
- 04.26.05 Firmware Update for 2015 LG EF9500/EG9600 OLED TVs
(Current Firmware for other models in the firmware updates listing.)
- Firmware Update for Onkyo TX-NR787, TX-RZ630, RZ730, RZ830 AVRs
(Also same changes in a FW update for RZ920/RZ820/RZ720/RZ620 models.)
- OWC Hits the Road with Jam in the Van (sponsor blog)
- GIGABYTE Unveils Aorus FI27Q 27-Inch 165 Hz Monitor (anandtech)
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software and driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:
January 27th to 31st, 2020 News Archive
- Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 build w/Security Update 2020-001
- About macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Update
- macOS 10.15.3 Delta and Combo Update Downloads
- Security Update 2020-001 for macOS 10.14.6/10.13.6 downloads
- About Security Fixes in Safari 13.0.5
- Changes/Fixes in iOS/iPadOS 13.3.1, iOS 12.4.5, tvOS 13.3.1, watchOS 6.1.2
- Using Activity Monitor Part 1: CPU and Memory
- How to Create Touch Bar Screenshots on a MacBook Pro
- Apple delivers a new redesigned Maps for all users in the United States
- Company of Heroes comes to iPad on February 13
- Apple Reports Record First Quarter Results
- About the security content of iTunes 12.10.4 for Windows
- About the security content of iCloud for Windows 10.9.2
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
- 2019 Mac Pro status indicator light behavior.
- Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes
- If you see an error in Finder or iTunes on your computer
- Read books and more with Apple Books app
- What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina
- How to Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) of your Mac.
- How to Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer
- If you can't download or update apps on your iPhone or other Apple device
- Institutions that support health records on iPhone and iPod touch
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!