- Sponsor Ad -
Recent Articles/Updates, Tips, DIY Mac Upgrades and Repairs
Last Updated: Aug. 13, 2020
- DisplayLink Manager macOS App v1.1 (for macOS Big Sur Beta and Catalina)
- Release notes, download, Mac Usage/install guide, and macOS Troubleshooting links.
- macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update released
- Post includes link to download page for the update.
- iOS 13.6.1 and iPadOS 13.6.1 Updates released
- Firmware Updates for LG 4K/UHD TVs
(The headings note OLED TV models, but Applicable Models list often includes LCD or NanoCell TVs.)
- Some updates list Airplay improvements or support for Apple TV app.
- Microsoft Office for Mac 16.40 update (w/security updates for Excel and Word)
- Adobe Security Updates for Lightroom, and Acrobat & Reader
- Chrome 84.0.4147.125 stable channel update includes 15 security fixes.
- Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.21 Update
- See post for details on 3 fixes/improvements.
- $199 Wheel Kit for 2019 Mac Pro (toolless install) (sponsor's pre-order price)
- Rover Pro kit installs in minutes. ($500 less than Apple's $699 Mac Pro Wheels Kit.)
- Apple Updates iMac 27-inch, 21.5-Inch and iMac Pro (Major updates to 27" iMac)
- Sponsor OWC posted a video Teardown of the new 2020 27-inch iMac.
- Apple Beta OS and Xcode 12 Updates
- Beta 4 of macOS Big Sur 11, Xcode 12, iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7.
- Safari Technology Preview 111
- Compatible with macOS Catalina and Big Sur.
- VLC Media Player for Mac version 184.108.40.206
- See post for info on fixes/improvements and download link.
- Firefox 79.0, Firefox ESR 78.1.0, and Firefox ESR 68.11 Updates (with security fixes)
- Security Updates for Adobe Bridge, Photoshop, and Prelude
- Vulnerability was in Windows version, but updates also listed for macOS.
- Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-004)
- This driver is for build after installing Security Update 2020-004 High Sierra.
(This and previous updates added to our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.)
- macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Update, and Security Update 2020-004 for Mojave and High Sierra
- with download pages for macOS 10.15.6 Combo/Delta & Security Update 2020-004 for 10.14.6/10.13.6.
(Downloads of previous macOS Updaters & Security Updates are at tips.html#OS_updates)
- Safari 13.1.2, Xcode 11.6, iOS 13.6, iPadOS 13.6, iOS 12.4.8, tvOS 13.4.8, watchOS 6.2.8, watchOS 5.3.8
- See post for release notes and security fixes.
- Pixelmator Pro 1.7 Update
- Adds new features and improves ML Super Resolution.
- Freeware VM VirtualBox 6.1.12 update (improvements and bug fixes)
- VMware Security Updates for Mac Fusion, Remote Console, & Horizon Client
- SoftRAID version 5.8.4 Update
- Includes new features and bug fixes. (Free 30 Day Trial download.)
- Updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps for Mac and iOS
- Version 10.1 of Numbers, Pages, and Keynote for Mac, and iOS.
- Apple adds Radeon Pro W5500X MPX Module Option for 2019 Mac Pro
- See post for article and link to apple store Radeon Pro W5500X module ($600 at post time).
- 03.10.20 Update for 2020 LG CX/GX/WX OLED TVs
- Apple AirPlay improvements, supports AMD FreeSync & ATSC 3.0 (WX/GX only).
(for other TV/AVR/Disc Player firmware updates, see this listing with latest updates first.)
- Envoy Express: First Thunderbolt 3 Certified Bus-Powered Storage Enclosure (sponsor item)
- Pre-Order Envoy Express Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure for $68 (limited time sale).
- Apple WWDC Keynote, Apple silicon Mac, macOS Big Sur and Other News
- DisplayLink Manager App 1.0.0 (for macOS Catalina)
- Includes release notes, Mac Usage/install guide, and macOS Troubleshooting.
- VLC Media Player for Mac version 3.0.11 and iOS version 3.2.11
- See post for details on fixes and download links. (Mac update Includes a security fix.)
- DIY How To Repair and Upgrade Guides for 2019 Mac Pro
- List updated with new guide to Installing or Replacing SSD modules.
(Refers to the new SSD Upgrade Kit modules, available in 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 8TB sizes.)
- New Options for 16in MacBook Pro (GPU) and 2019 Mac Pro (SSD Kits)
- Logic Pro X 10.5.1 Update
- Very long list of fixes/improvements.
- Logic Remote iOS App 1.4.1 Update
- 04.80.03 Firmware Update for 2019 LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs
- "Apple AirPlay improvements". (See info on more changes not noted by LG.)
- Post updated with tips on Airplay 2/DD+ ATMOS, and Soundbar user tips.
- 04.80.02 Firmware Update for 2019 LG B9 OLED TVs
("Applicable Models" list also includes many other LG LCD TVs.)
- "Apple AirPlay improvements".
- Early 2008 Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3 (again?)
- Original download page now dated June 5, 2020, but version info has not been updated.
- Micromat MachineProfile version 1.3.15
- Adds support for 2020 MacBook Pros, more.
- TechTool Pro 12.0.3 Update
- Long list of fixes, improvements, and added support for 2020 MacBooks.
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 3.3.23
- Apple says this firmware update requires macOS 10.15.5 or later.
- Little Snitch 4.5.2 (Bug and Security Fix)
(Includes Developer note recommending installing this update asap.)
- DisplayLink USB Software v5.2.4 for macOS Catalina & Mojave
- Includes tips on installing DisplayLink software, enabling kernel extension, and screen recording.
- Apple updates 13-inch MacBook Pro Keyboard, Storage & Performance
- SteamVR has ended macOS support
- Yamaha LAN Monitor v1.4.1 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.13
(was originally named "Yamaha Audio Network Monitor", now available for Mac.)
- Geekbench 5.1.1 Update
- fixes issues that could prevent the Metal Compute Benchmark from working properly.
- Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module for 2019 Mac Pro ($1000 at post time)
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 2.2.2
- Updated with a Tip from an XDR owner that had problems updating to 2.2.2.
- Also includes a Tip for missing Display Presets after the 2.2.2 update.
- New MacBook Air, updated Mac Mini and new iPad Pro
- Mac mini added options for 6-Core i7 CPUs, up to 64GB RAM, up to 2TB SSD.
- iPad Air (3rd generation) Service Program for Blank Screen Issue
- Nvidia Geforce NOW Info and Mac Requirements
- Includes macOS requirements, tested Mac Models and Internet speeds required.
(And a limited time "Founders membership" offer - 3 months free, then $4.99/month for 2020.)
- (Updated) 2019 Mac Pro vs iMac Pro Final Cut Pro X Performance
- Well equipped 2019 Mac Pro owner notes better FCP X performance with his iMac Pro?
(Updated Jan 29th for comments that macOS 10.15.3 seems to have solved the problem.)
- How to Setup OWC Accelsior 4M2 card for Mac Boot Drive + RAID 0
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: 8 Core i9-9900K, 2x 1TB NVMe, RX580 Nitro+ updated.
(Added Geekbench 5.1 vs 5.0.4 CPU, OpenCL, and Metal scores.)
- Has list of hardware for mini-ITX build plus NVMe SSD Disk Speed & GFXBench Metal results.
- 2019 Mac Pro Teardowns at OWC and iFixit
- DIY How To Repair and Upgrade Guides for 2019 Mac Pro
- RAM, PCIe cards, Power Supply, I/O Card, Radeon Pro modules, Pegasus RAID module, AfterBurner.
(Also includes Apple Pro Display XDR Set up & Using multiple displays with 2019 Mac Pro.)
- Tip for eGPU Problems after macOS Catalina Update
- Apple introduces 16-inch MacBook Pro
- New Keyboard, Graphics, Thermal Design, up to 8TB SSD.
- Pacifist 3.6.2 Update (Adds Catalina support, and Notarized.)
- Download Legacy Content Packages for Logic 9 and MainStage 2
- CCC Blog on Cloning Catalina with Carbon Copy Cloner
- Also covers preparing for the upgrade, if/when you should upgrade, and questions on backups.
- CCC blog on Poor APFS Hard Drive Performance and Degradation
- A must read for anyone using an APFS format boot Hard Disk Drive (vs SSD).
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6
(Added macOS Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6 benchmark results.)
- 802.11n AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Firmware 7.8.1 (Security Update)
- Boot Camp Update for macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (info/download)
- 802.11ac Airport Extreme Base & Time Capsule Firmware 7.9.1 (Security Update)
- See post for more details on security fixes and how to apply the firmware update.
- AirPlay 2 and eARC Updates for select Yamaha Receivers and Preamplifier/Processor
(Some models have AirPlay 2, Spotify free account, & eARC support added, others only eARC.)
- Apple Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
- Apple Service Program for 13in MacBook Pro Display Backlight
- Tip for VirtualBox problems with macOS Mojave
- Apple Support Articles on Mitigations for Vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs
(also listed in the related articles of macOS 10.14.5 and Security Update 2019-003 below)
- Nvidia CUDA 418.163 Update for macOS High Sierra
- Aperture won't run in post-Mojave macOS, Migrating Aperture Libraries to Photos or Lightroom classic
- Review of I/O Crest Syba Dual M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe card in a Mac Pro 5,1 (running 10.14.2)
(With Amorphous Disk Mark, Blackmagic & AJA Disk Speed results. Updated with note on RAID 0 speeds.)
- SMC Reset Tip (not in Apple's article - fixed older iMac FW800 port problem after power failure)
- Reader's Benchmarks with NVMe SSD Upgrade vs SATA SSD (Mini-ITX Hackintosh)
- 2018 Mac mini Take-Apart and RAM Upgrade Guides
Although Apple recommends they do it, the 2018 Mini's RAM modules can be user replaced.
Links to guides to replacing RAM modules and 2018 Mini disassembly + RAM upgrade video.
- macOS Mojave Benchmarks from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owner
- With RX580 vs 5770 Benchmarks. 10.14.1 updates firmware to 220.127.116.11.0 (with boot NVMe support).
- SSD Firmware Updates to Address Vulnerabilities in some models (CVE-2018-12037, CVE-2018-12038)
(Lists some Crucial and Samsung SSD models, with specific details. Also links to Samsung's Notice.)
- More Reports on macOS 10.14 Mojave installs from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owners
- Nvidia DevTalk Post about no Nvidia Drivers for MacOS Mojave
- Tip for macOS Mojave users with "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed" problem
(usually if you see "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed", Ethernet also not working)
- DisplayLink USB Graphics Software Updates for macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite
(v4.3.1 for macOS High Sierra/Sierra/El Capitan, v3.1.1 for OS X 10.10.x Yosemite.)
- macOS 10.14 Mojave Forum Posts on Problems and Tips
(Including App Store, Time Machine Backups, WiFi, Key Logger & More)
- Owner Reports on (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros
(Updated with notes and reports on macOS 10.14 Mojave Installs + Apple list of supported GPUs.)
- Apple info on installing Mojave on 2010-2012 Mac Pros (w/Supported Graphics Card list)
- macOS Mojave, Apple Mojave discussion forum and Mojave related Support/How-To articles
- Metal, OpenCL, Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench CPU scores - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.5 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench results - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros running macOS 10.12.6 or 10.13.x (6 reports)
(2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 DVD-D. Reports on Sapphire Pulse and Nitro+ Special Edition.)
- Radeon R9 280X Benchmarks in Mac Pro (used with Mac Pro 5,1 & Mac Pro 3,1)
- Report on Low-Cost Vantec USB 3.0 PCI-e Card (Mac Pro 5,1, macOS 10.13)
(And post on Sleep Problems w/USB 3.0 card in 2008 Mac Pro - request for card w/o sleep problems)
- Firmware Update for OWC USB-C Dock with HDMI (revised info)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- macOS High Sierra Tips, Compatibility Info and Troubleshooting
- MANY Updated Apple Support/How-To Articles on 4K Apple TV
- Important Info on Apple's APFS File System Conversion in High Sierra
- Notes on Apple TV 4K HDR10 and Dolby Vision (display settings/cabling, more)
- Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.12.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- Reports on DIY 2009 Mac Pro 12-Core (Dual Xeon X5690/5670) CPU Upgrades (updated)
- Updated first report on page of 2009 Mac Pro 6-Core CPU Upgrades to add Dave's notes on
swapping his single CPU tray for a dual CPU tray, and buying another X5690 CPU.
- MacBook Pro ExpressCard reports page updated
(macOS Sierra user report on SI3132 eSATA expresscard driver problem)
- Tip for OS X Installer "Can't be Verified" error (due to expired Apple certificate)
- Another Report/Reminder to Check 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heat Sink Retainers
- Often a cause of overheating shutdowns and kernel panics. (Plastic retainers may break over time.)
- Late 2009 27-Inch iMac Radeon Card Repair (BGA reball to repair cracked solder joints)
- Low-Cost eSATA and USB 3.0 PCIe cards in Mac Pro 5,1
- Apple How-To Articles on Boot Camp 6 and Windows 10 install
- Reports on 2009 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6-core CPU Upgrade (with Mac Pro 5,1 EFI) (updated)
- HGST 6TB NAS Hard Drive not mounting on restart in 2009-2012 Mac Pros
(drive mounts from a cold boot, but not after a reboot)
- Frequent Notebook Hard Drive Head Unloading (clicking) Revisited
- About Using OS X 'HDAPM' to disable Hard Drive Energy Saving Mode (reports/download/info)
- Another report on 2009 Mac Pro Upgrades (3.46GHz CPU, GPU, RAM, EFI)
- Feedback on Booting from USB 3.0 drives connected to Thunderbolt Docks
(article updated to list boot requirements)
- Reminder on potential USB 3.0 Interference with 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth
- 2009 Mac Pro owner notes on (12-core) Dual 3GHz X5675 Upgrade and More
- Report on 2009 Mac Pro CPU Upgrade and mainboard Repairs
- Info on (user compiled) NTP Update for OS X 10.6/Snow Leopard
- More on 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heatsink Retainer Repairs (fix overheating)
- Reports on Combo 802.11ac Wifi + Bluetooth 4.0 card kit for Mac Pros (added 4th report)
- 2006/2007 Mac Mini eSATA Card Mod Reports page updated (using ASM1061 based SATA3 card)
- Reminder on Screen Sharing & iTunes HD video playback problems (HDCP)
- Another 2009 Mac Pro NB (overheating) Heatsink Retainer Repair added to previous info
- Tips for fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes HD Movies/TV shows
(Notes, Causes and Tips that have helped in the past)
- Seagate/WD SATA3 Drive Jumper Tips for older Macs with SATA1 interfaces
- 2009 Mac Pro 6-core CPU Upgrade (3.46GHz W3690), Fixing NB Heatsink Retainers:
- 2009 Mac Pro 12-core CPU Upgrade - Dual 2.93GHz X5670 Westmere CPUs
- Report: QuickerTek 802.11ac QCard2 in 15" Retina MacBook Pro
- Mac Pro Northbridge High Temperatures? Check for a Broken Heatsink Retainer
- Reminder on which SATA2 Mac models that run SATA3 Drives at SATA1 speed
- Another Low-Cost 2009 Mac Pro Quad-Core 3.2GHz CPU Upgrade
- Report: 2008 Mac Pro with Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac PCIe card and OS X 10.10
- Report: iMac eSATA Mini-PCIe card Mod (updated)
- Late 2013 Mac Pro (DIY) CPU Upgrades and Benchmarks
- Report: 2006 Xserve Dual 3GHz Quad-Core X5365 CPUs Upgrade ($150)
- 2013 Mac Pro Guides on Installing/Removing Flash Drive, Ram, Multiple Displays, Audio & More
- Report: 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) Dual X5355 (Quad-Core) CPU Upgrade (under $60)
- 2007 Mac Pro (2,1) running OS X 10.9 Mavericks (with Radeon 7970 card)
- 2006 Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core CPUs ($70), EFI, PC 5770 ($75) Video Card Upgrades
- Setting OS X DVD Player to Output 5.1 Digital Audio (vs PCM) via HDMI to AVR/HDTV
- 2006 Mini T7400 (2.16GHz) Core2Duo CPU Swap
- (USB Cable) Tips for Errors and Problems Restoring Apple TVs
- Troubleshooting External Drive Disconnects/Spindown (and some Firmware Updates)
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Mac =
Upgrades just for
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for List)
SSDs up to 4TB
Fast SSDs for Most Macs/PCs
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12TB HDDs
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5in HDs & SSDs =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Repairs & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!