- Sponsor Ad -
Recent Articles/Updates, Tips, DIY Mac Upgrades and Repairs
Last Updated: November 14, 2019
- Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.14 Update (release notes)
- Info on 13 fixes and improvements.
- Apple intros new 16-inch MacBook Pro
- New Keyboard, Graphics, Thermal Design, up to 8TB SSD.
- Updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps for Mac and iOS
- Numbers 6.2.1, Pages 8.2.1, Keynote 9.2.1 for Mac, and iOS Numbers/Pages/Keynote 5.2.1.
- Apple Xcode 11.2.1 update (Bug/Crash fix)
- Microsoft Mac Office Security Updates
- Security Updates for Adobe Illustrator CC, Animate CC, Bridge CC, Media Encoder
- Pacifist 3.6.2 Update (Adds Catalina support, and Notarized.)
- Firefox 70.0.1 Update (with updated OpenH264 video plugin macOS 10.15)
- Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2019-006)
(previous Mac Nvidia Driver Updates are down the Video topics page.)
- Safari Technology Preview 95 (available for Mojave and Catalina)
- macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Update (with list of changes and fixes)
- post includes download page for the macOS 10.15.1 update.
- Security Update 2019-001 (Mojave), and Security Update 2019-006 (High Sierra)
- post includes download pages for the Security Updates.
(Downloads of previous Delta/Combo Updaters and Security Updates at tips.html#OS)
- Micromat Drive Scope 1.2.7 update adds macOS 10.15 support, bug fixes, more.
- Pixelmator Pro 1.5.1 Update (new Soft Proof Colors feature/many bug fixes)
- Download Legacy Content Packages for Logic 9 and MainStage 2
- User tip for AirPlay problems with 2019 LG OLED TVs
(just above the tip is Oct. 19th firmware update for LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs.)
- SoftRAID version 5.8 Update (Catalina compatible)
- v5.8 includes important bug fixes and changes for improved compatibility with macOS 10.15.
- DisplayLink version 5.2.1 Beta 3 USB Software for macOS 10.15 Catalina
- Includes tips on DisplayLink software with macOS 10.15 and download link.
- Freeware VM VirtualBox 6.0.14 Update
- Includes fix for a GUI VM process crash that happened frequently with macOS 10.15 Catalina hosts.
- CCC Blog on Cloning Catalina with Carbon Copy Cloner
- Also covers preparing for the upgrade, if/when you should upgrade, and questions on backups.
- Final Cut Pro X 10.4.7, Logic Pro X 10.4.7, Compressor 4.4.5, Motion 5.4.4 Updates
- Little Snitch 4.4.3 Update (macOS 10.15 Catalina compatible)
- They note to update to 4.4.3 BEFORE installing macOS 10.15 Catalina.
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Service Program for No Power Issues
- Downloads of Nvidia Graphics Driver Updates for macOS 10.13.6 & 10.12.6 builds with Security Update 2019-005
- Updated drivers for new build numbers after installing Security Update 2019-005.
(CUDA and previous Nvidia Graphics Drivers for macOS/OS X on the Video page.)
- Security Update 2019-005 for macOS 10.13.6 and 10.12.6
- Security Update 2019-005 for High Sierra/Sierra, and macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2.
(Post includes download links for the updates, and revised 10.14.6 Combo/Delta downloads.)
- Chrome Update caused Boot Problem on Some Macs
- Post includes info on the problem and tips using Terminal commands.
- CCC blog on Poor APFS Hard Drive Performance and Degradation
- A must read for anyone using an APFS format boot Hard Disk Drive (vs SSD).
- Freeware VM VirtualBox 6.0.12 Update
- includes a fix for MacOS Guest Additions failing to start in v6.0.10
- Mac VLC Media Player 3.0.8 Update (for OS X 10.7.5 or later)
- Includes 2 macOS specific fixes as well as other fixes including security related.
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: 8 Core i9-9900K, 2x 1TB NVMe, RX580 Nitro+ updated August 7th.
(Added macOS 10.14.6 GeekBench (CPU, OpenCL, Metal) & Unigine Heaven/Valley scores.)
- With list of hardware for mini-ITX build plus NVMe SSD Disk Speed & GFXBench Metal results.
- MainStage 3.4.3 Update (many fixes/improvements)
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6
(Added macOS Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6 benchmark results.)
- 802.11n AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Firmware 7.8.1 (Security Update)
- Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program (June 20th)
- Boot Camp Update for macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (info/download)
- Apple unveils all-new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR at WWDC 2019
- 802.11ac Airport Extreme Base & Time Capsule Firmware 7.9.1 (Security Update)
- See post for more details on security fixes and how to apply the firmware update.
- AirPlay 2 and eARC Updates for select Yamaha Receivers and Preamplifier/Processor
(Some models have AirPlay 2, Spotify free account, & eARC support added, others only eARC.)
- New Apple Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
- New Apple Service Program for 13in MacBook Pro Display Backlight
- New MacBook Pros with 8-core CPU Options (for 15-inch model)
- Tip for VirtualBox problems with macOS Mojave 10.14.5
- Apple Support Articles on Mitigations for Vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs
(also listed in the related articles of macOS 10.14.5 and Security Update 2019-003 below)
- Nvidia CUDA 418.163 Update for macOS High Sierra
- Aperture won't run in post-Mojave macOS, Migrating Aperture Libraries to Photos or Lightroom classic
- New OWC Aura Pro X2 NVMe SSD Upgrades, available install kits with tools & transfer enclosure for
Late 2013-Mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, Mid 2013-2017 MacBook Air, 2014 Mac Mini & 2013 Mac Pro.
- New 2019 iMacs get Performance Boost (Core i9 8-core CPU, Vega 48 Graphics Options)
- Review of I/O Crest Syba Dual M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe card in a Mac Pro 5,1 (running 10.14.2)
(With Amorphous Disk Mark, Blackmagic & AJA Disk Speed results. Updated with note on RAID 0 speeds.)
- Apple Pro Video Formats 2.1 update (codecs)
- SMC Reset Tip (not in Apple's article - fixed older iMac FW800 port problem after power failure)
- 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program
(affects some 128GB & 256GB SSDs in 13" MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) sold June 2017 to June 2018)
- Reader's Benchmarks with NVMe SSD Upgrade vs SATA SSD (Mini-ITX Hackintosh)
- 2018 Mac mini Take-Apart and RAM Upgrade Guides
Although Apple recommends they do it, the 2018 Mini's RAM modules can be user replaced.
Links to guides to replacing RAM modules and 2018 Mini disassembly + RAM upgrade video.
- macOS Mojave Benchmarks from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owner
- With RX580 vs 5770 Benchmarks. 10.14.1 updates firmware to 126.96.36.199.0 (with boot NVMe support).
- SSD Firmware Updates to Address Vulnerabilities in some models (CVE-2018-12037, CVE-2018-12038)
(Lists some Crucial and Samsung SSD models, with specific details. Also links to Samsung's Notice.)
- More Reports on macOS 10.14 installs from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owners
- Nvidia DevTalk Post about no MacOS 10.14 Mojave Nvidia Drivers
- Tip for macOS Mojave users with "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed" problem
(usually if you see "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed", Ethernet also not working)
- DisplayLink USB Graphics Software Updates for macOS
(v4.3.1 for macOS High Sierra/Sierra/El Capitan, v3.1.1 for OS X 10.10.x Yosemite.)
- macOS 10.14 Mojave Forum Posts on Problems and Tips
(Including App Store, Time Machine Backups, WiFi, Key Logger & More)
- Owner Reports on (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros
(Updated with notes and reports on macOS 10.14 Mojave Installs + Apple list of supported GPUs.)
- Apple info on installing Mojave on 2010-2012 Mac Pros (w/Supported Graphics Card list)
- macOS Mojave, Apple Mojave discussion forum and Mojave related Support/How-To articles
- Airport Express (802.11N) Firmware Update adds AirPlay 2 Support
- Metal, OpenCL, Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench CPU scores - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.5 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench results - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros running macOS 10.12.6 or 10.13.x (6 reports)
(2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 DVD-D. Reports on Sapphire Pulse and Nitro+ Special Edition.)
- Radeon R9 280X Benchmarks in Mac Pro (used with Mac Pro 5,1 & Mac Pro 3,1)
- Report on Low-Cost Vantec USB 3.0 PCI-e Card (Mac Pro 5,1, macOS 10.13)
(And post on Sleep Problems w/USB 3.0 card in 2008 Mac Pro - request for card w/o sleep problems)
- Firmware Update for OWC USB-C Dock with HDMI (revised info)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- macOS High Sierra Tips, Compatibility Info and Troubleshooting
- MANY Updated Apple Support/How-To Articles on 4K Apple TV
- Important Info on Apple's APFS File System Conversion in High Sierra
- Notes on Apple TV 4K HDR10 and Dolby Vision (display settings/cabling, more)
- Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.12.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- Reports on DIY 2009 Mac Pro 12-Core (Dual Xeon X5690/5670) CPU Upgrades (updated)
- Updated first report at page of 2009 Mac Pro 6-Core CPU Upgrades to add Dave's notes on swapping his single CPU tray for a dual CPU tray, and buying another X5690 CPU.
- MacBook Pro ExpressCard reports page updated
(macOS Sierra user report on SI3132 eSATA expresscard driver problem)
- Tip for OS X Installer "Can't be Verified" (due to expired Apple certificate)
- Notes/Tips for Repeated Mac Mini Video Blackouts with some A/V Receivers (updated)
Includes Receiver HDMI Info, Tests and Tips on HDMI and HDCP problems in OS X.
- Another Report/Reminder to Check 2009 Mac Pro Northbridge Heat Sink Retainers
- External Video Card in Thunderbolt PCIe Chassis with a MacBook Pro
(inclues performance tests of Thunderbolt video card vs onboard graphics)
- Late 2009 27-Inch iMac Radeon Card Repair (BGA reball to repair cracked solder joints)
- Low-Cost eSATA and USB 3.0 PCIe cards in Mac Pro 5,1 running OS X 10.10.5
- Apple How-To Articles on Boot Camp 6 and Windows 10 install
- Reports on 2009 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6-core CPU Upgrade (with Mac Pro 5,1 EFI) (updated)
- HGST 6TB NAS Hard Drive not mounting on restart in 2009-2012 Mac Pros
(drive mounts from a cold boot, but not after a reboot)
- Frequent Notebook Hard Drive Head Unloading (clicking) Revisited
- About Using OS X 'HDAPM' to disable Hard Drive Energy Saving Mode (reports/download/info)
- Another report on 2009 Mac Pro Upgrades (3.46GHz CPU, GPU, RAM, EFI)
- Feedback on Booting from USB 3.0 drives connected to Thunderbolt Docks
(article updated to list boot requirements)
- Reminder on potential USB 3.0 Interference with 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth
- 2009 Mac Pro owner notes on (12-core) Dual 3GHz X5675 Upgrade and More
- Report on 2009 Mac Pro CPU Upgrade and mainboard Repairs
- Info on (user compiled) NTP Update for OS X 10.6/Snow Leopard
- More on 2009 Mac Pro Northbridge Heatsink Retainer Repairs (fix overheating)
- Reports on Combo 802.11ac Wifi + Bluetooth 4.0 card kit for Mac Pros (added 4th report)
- 2006/2007 Mac Mini eSATA Card Mod Reports page updated (using ASM1061 based SATA3 card)
- Reminder on Screen Sharing & iTunes HD video playback problems (HDCP)
- Another 2009 Mac Pro NB (overheating) Heatsink Retainer Repair added to previous info
- Tips for fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes HD Movies/TV shows
(Notes, Causes and Tips that have helped in the past)
- Seagate/WD SATA3 Drive Jumper Tips for older Macs with SATA1 interfaces
- 2009 Mac Pro 6-core CPU Upgrade (3.46GHz W3690), Fixing NB Heatsink Retainers:
- 2009 Mac Pro 12-core CPU Upgrade - Dual 2.93GHz X5670 Westmere CPUs
- Report: QuickerTek 802.11ac QCard2 in 15" Retina MacBook Pro
- Mac Pro Northbridge High Temperatures? Check for a Broken Heatsink Retainer
- Reminder on which SATA2 Mac models that run SATA3 Drives at SATA1 speed
- Another Low-Cost 2009 Mac Pro Quad-Core 3.2GHz CPU Upgrade
- Report: 2008 Mac Pro with Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac PCIe card and OS X 10.10
- Report: iMac eSATA Mini-PCIe card Mod (updated)
- Late 2013 Mac Pro (DIY) CPU Upgrades and Benchmarks
- Report: 2006 Xserve Dual 3GHz Quad-Core X5365 CPUs Upgrade ($150)
- 2013 Mac Pro Guides on Installing/Removing Flash Drive, Ram, Multiple Displays, Audio & More
- Report: 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) Dual X5355 (Quad-Core) CPU Upgrade (under $60)
- 2007 Mac Pro (2,1) running OS X 10.9 Mavericks (with Radeon 7970 card)
- 2006 Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core CPUs ($70), EFI, PC 5770 ($75) Video Card Upgrades
- Setting OS X DVD Player to Output 5.1 Digital Audio (vs PCM) via HDMI to AVR/HDTV
- 2006 Mini T7400 (2.16GHz) Core2Duo CPU Swap
- (USB Cable) Tips for Errors and Problems Restoring Apple TVs
- Troubleshooting External Drive Disconnects/Spindown (and some Firmware Updates)
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Mac =
Upgrades just for
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for List)
SSDs up to 4TB
Fast SSDs for Most Macs/PCs
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12TB HDDs
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5in HDs & SSDs =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Repairs & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!