- Sponsor Ad -
Recent Articles/Updates, Tips, DIY Mac Upgrades and Repairs
Last Updated: May 29, 2020
- Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.18 Update (release notes)
- Info on 6 improvements (including addressing issue with macOS 10.15.5).
- Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-003)
(This and previous updates added to our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.)
- Safari Technology Preview 107 (available for Mojave and Catalina)
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 3.3.23
- Apple says this firmware update requires macOS 10.15.5 (or later).
- CCC Notes on a macOS 10.15.5 Bug Impacting Bootable Backups
- This issue addressed in CCC 5.1.18.
- macOS 10.15.5 Update, Safari 13.1.1, Security Update 2020-003 for Mojave and High Sierra
- with download pages for macOS 10.15.5 Combo/Delta & Security Update 2020-003 for 10.14.6/10.13.6.
(Downloads of previous macOS Updaters & Security Updates are at tips.html#OS_updates)
- Little Snitch 4.5.2 (Bug and Security Fix)
(Includes Developer note recommending installing this update asap.)
- DisplayLink USB Software v5.2.4 for macOS Catalina & Mojave
- Includes tips on installing DisplayLink software, enabling kernel extension, and screen recording.
- Xcode 11.5, iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, iOS 12.4.7, tvOS 13.4.5, & HomePod 13.4.5 Updates
- Includes links to release notes for the updates. (Most also include security fixes.)
- Chrome 83.0.4103.61 stable channel update (with 38 security fixes)
- Pixelmator Pro 1.6.3 Update
- watchOS 6.2.5 and watchOS 5.3.7 Updates (with bug and security fixes)
- Investigating & Preventing 2019 Mac Pro Kernel Panics with PCIe SSD Card (OWC blog)
- with tips/fix for OWC 4M2 PCIe SSD card. (Highpoint SSD7101A also mentioned.)
- Logic Pro X 10.5 - Major Update (Huge list of new features/changes.)
- Apple calls this the biggest update ever to Logic Pro X.
- Logic Remote iOS App version 1.4.
- Huge list of new features and improvements.
- Firefox 76.0.1 and Firefox ESR 68.8 (both include security fixes)
Info on major changes/new features in Firefox 76.0/bug fixes in 76.0.1
and security fixes in both Firefox 76.0 and Firefox ESR 68.8.
- Apple updates 13-inch MacBook Pro Keyboard, Storage & Performance
- VIDEO - How to Install a GPU Card in the Akitio Node Titan (eGPU enclosure)
- SteamVR has ended macOS support
- Yamaha LAN Monitor v1.4.1 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.13
(was originally named "Yamaha Audio Network Monitor", now available for Mac.)
- iOS Firefox version 25.0 (improvements and security fix)
- VLC Media Player for Mac v3.0.10 and iOS v3.2.8
- See post for details on changes/fixes and download links. (Includes security fixes.)
- Geekbench 5.1.1 Update
- fixes issues that could prevent the Metal Compute Benchmark from working properly.
(Blog page dated April 7th, but didn't appear there until later.)
- Little Snitch 4.5.1 Update (improvements and bug fixes)
- Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module for 2019 Mac Pro ($1000 at post time)
- Xcode 11.4.1 (Bug fixes, stability improvements and git URL security fix)
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update (with Download)
- see post for list of fixes and download for the update.
- watchOS 6.2.1, iOS 13.4.1, iPadOS 13.4.1 Updates (Bug Fixes)
- Firefox 75.0 and Firefox ESR 68.7.0 (includes security fixes)
- Article on Safari 13.1 New Features/Improvements
- Updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps for Mac and iOS
- Version 10 of Numbers, Pages, and Keynote for Mac, and iOS.
- Apple Pro Display XDR Firmware Update 2.2.2
- Updated with a Tip from an XDR owner that had problems updating to 2.2.2.
- Also includes a Tip for missing Display Presets after the 2.2.2 update.
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Update and Security Update 2020-002 for macOS 10.14.6/10.13.6
Info + Downloads of macOS 10.15.4 Combo/delta & Security Updates for macOS 10.14.6/10.13.6.
Includes info and workaround for hangs during file copy after macOS 10.15.4 update.
Includes a note about macOS 10.15.4 warning on compatibility of 3rd party system extensions.
And has a note about HDR problems with some displays - you can turn it Off in Display Prefs.
- Safari 13.1, iOS/iPadOS 13.4, iOS 12.4.6, tvOS 13.4, watchOS 6.2/5.2.6, 3rd Gen Apple TV 7.5
- New MacBook Air, updated Mac Mini and new iPad Pro
- SoftRAID version 5.8.3 Update
- Mac VMware Fusion 11.5.2 (security update) Download
- Important Firmware Update for Yamaha THR10II/THR30II Wireless Guitar Amps
- Firmware update to address potential for "extreme overheating during charging".
(Includes link to "THR Remote" for macOS 10.15-10.14, used to update firmware.)
- TechTool Pro 12.0.2 Update (adds 2019 Mac Pro/Mac Pro Rack support, many fixes)
- iPad Air (3rd generation) Service Program for Blank Screen Issue
- MainStage 3.4.4 Update has several new features and fixes/improvements.
- Freeware VM VirtualBox 6.1.14 Update includes fixes for macOS Hosts & Guests
- Nvidia Geforce NOW Info and Mac Requirements
- Includes macOS requirements, tested Mac Models and Internet speeds required.
(And a limited time "Founders membership" offer - 3 months free, then $4.99/month for 2020.)
- (Updated) 2019 Mac Pro vs iMac Pro Final Cut Pro X Performance
- Well equipped 2019 Mac Pro owner notes better FCP X performance with his iMac Pro?
(Updated Jan 29th for comments that macOS 10.15.3 seems to have solved the problem.)
- How to Setup OWC Accelsior 4M2 card for Mac Boot Drive + RAID 0
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: 8 Core i9-9900K, 2x 1TB NVMe, RX580 Nitro+ updated Dec. 27th
(Added Geekbench 5.1 vs 5.0.4 CPU, OpenCL, and Metal scores.)
- Has list of hardware for mini-ITX build plus NVMe SSD Disk Speed & GFXBench Metal results.
- 2019 Mac Pro Teardowns at OWC and iFixit
- DIY How To Repair and Upgrade Guides for 2019 Mac Pro
- RAM, PCIe cards, Power Supply, I/O Card, Radeon Pro modules, Pegasus RAID module, AfterBurner.
(Also includes Apple Pro Display XDR Set up & Using multiple displays with 2019 Mac Pro.)
- Tip for eGPU Problems after macOS 10.15.2 Update
- Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8, Logic Pro X 10.4.8, Compressor 4.4.6, Motion 5.4.5 Updates
- Apple intros new 16-inch MacBook Pro
- New Keyboard, Graphics, Thermal Design, up to 8TB SSD.
- Pacifist 3.6.2 Update (Adds Catalina support, and Notarized.)
- Download Legacy Content Packages for Logic 9 and MainStage 2
- User tip for AirPlay problems with 2019 LG OLED TVs
(just above the tip is Oct. 19th firmware update for LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs.)
- CCC Blog on Cloning Catalina with Carbon Copy Cloner
- Also covers preparing for the upgrade, if/when you should upgrade, and questions on backups.
- CCC blog on Poor APFS Hard Drive Performance and Degradation
- A must read for anyone using an APFS format boot Hard Disk Drive (vs SSD).
- Mac VLC Media Player 3.0.8 Update (for OS X 10.7.5 or later)
- Includes 2 macOS specific fixes as well as other fixes including security related.
- Hackintosh Benchmarks: Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6
(Added macOS Mojave 10.14.5 vs High Sierra 10.13.6 benchmark results.)
- 802.11n AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Firmware 7.8.1 (Security Update)
- Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program
- Boot Camp Update for macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (info/download)
- Apple unveils all-new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR at WWDC 2019
- 802.11ac Airport Extreme Base & Time Capsule Firmware 7.9.1 (Security Update)
- See post for more details on security fixes and how to apply the firmware update.
- AirPlay 2 and eARC Updates for select Yamaha Receivers and Preamplifier/Processor
(Some models have AirPlay 2, Spotify free account, & eARC support added, others only eARC.)
- Apple Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
- Apple Service Program for 13in MacBook Pro Display Backlight
- Tip for VirtualBox problems with macOS Mojave 10.14.5
- Apple Support Articles on Mitigations for Vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs
(also listed in the related articles of macOS 10.14.5 and Security Update 2019-003 below)
- Nvidia CUDA 418.163 Update for macOS High Sierra
- Aperture won't run in post-Mojave macOS, Migrating Aperture Libraries to Photos or Lightroom classic
- Review of I/O Crest Syba Dual M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe card in a Mac Pro 5,1 (running 10.14.2)
(With Amorphous Disk Mark, Blackmagic & AJA Disk Speed results. Updated with note on RAID 0 speeds.)
- SMC Reset Tip (not in Apple's article - fixed older iMac FW800 port problem after power failure)
- Reader's Benchmarks with NVMe SSD Upgrade vs SATA SSD (Mini-ITX Hackintosh)
- 2018 Mac mini Take-Apart and RAM Upgrade Guides
Although Apple recommends they do it, the 2018 Mini's RAM modules can be user replaced.
Links to guides to replacing RAM modules and 2018 Mini disassembly + RAM upgrade video.
- macOS Mojave Benchmarks from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owner
- With RX580 vs 5770 Benchmarks. 10.14.1 updates firmware to 18.104.22.168.0 (with boot NVMe support).
- SSD Firmware Updates to Address Vulnerabilities in some models (CVE-2018-12037, CVE-2018-12038)
(Lists some Crucial and Samsung SSD models, with specific details. Also links to Samsung's Notice.)
- More Reports on macOS 10.14 Mojave installs from Mac Pro/Radeon RX 580 owners
- Nvidia DevTalk Post about no MacOS 10.14 Mojave Nvidia Drivers
- Tip for macOS Mojave users with "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed" problem
(usually if you see "No Wi-Fi Hardware Installed", Ethernet also not working)
- DisplayLink USB Graphics Software Updates for macOS
(v4.3.1 for macOS High Sierra/Sierra/El Capitan, v3.1.1 for OS X 10.10.x Yosemite.)
- macOS 10.14 Mojave Forum Posts on Problems and Tips
(Including App Store, Time Machine Backups, WiFi, Key Logger & More)
- Owner Reports on (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros
(Updated with notes and reports on macOS 10.14 Mojave Installs + Apple list of supported GPUs.)
- Apple info on installing Mojave on 2010-2012 Mac Pros (w/Supported Graphics Card list)
- macOS Mojave, Apple Mojave discussion forum and Mojave related Support/How-To articles
- Metal, OpenCL, Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench CPU scores - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13.5 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
(Also GeekBench results - Reader built Hackintosh with 6-core i7 8700 CPU at 3.2GHz)
- (Stock/not flashed) Radeon RX 580 8GB in Mac Pros running macOS 10.12.6 or 10.13.x (6 reports)
(2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 DVD-D. Reports on Sapphire Pulse and Nitro+ Special Edition.)
- Radeon R9 280X Benchmarks in Mac Pro (used with Mac Pro 5,1 & Mac Pro 3,1)
- Report on Low-Cost Vantec USB 3.0 PCI-e Card (Mac Pro 5,1, macOS 10.13)
(And post on Sleep Problems w/USB 3.0 card in 2008 Mac Pro - request for card w/o sleep problems)
- Firmware Update for OWC USB-C Dock with HDMI (revised info)
- Unigine Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.13 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- macOS High Sierra Tips, Compatibility Info and Troubleshooting
- MANY Updated Apple Support/How-To Articles on 4K Apple TV
- Important Info on Apple's APFS File System Conversion in High Sierra
- Notes on Apple TV 4K HDR10 and Dolby Vision (display settings/cabling, more)
- Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchmarks with Nvidia macOS 10.12.6 driver & GTX-1050 Ti card
- Reports on DIY 2009 Mac Pro 12-Core (Dual Xeon X5690/5670) CPU Upgrades (updated)
- Updated first report at page of 2009 Mac Pro 6-Core CPU Upgrades to add Dave's notes on swapping his single CPU tray for a dual CPU tray, and buying another X5690 CPU.
- MacBook Pro ExpressCard reports page updated
(macOS Sierra user report on SI3132 eSATA expresscard driver problem)
- Tip for OS X Installer "Can't be Verified" error (due to expired Apple certificate)
- Another Report/Reminder to Check 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heat Sink Retainers
- Often a cause of overheating shutdowns and kernel panics. (Plastic retainers may break over time.)
- Late 2009 27-Inch iMac Radeon Card Repair (BGA reball to repair cracked solder joints)
- Low-Cost eSATA and USB 3.0 PCIe cards in Mac Pro 5,1
- Apple How-To Articles on Boot Camp 6 and Windows 10 install
- Reports on 2009 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6-core CPU Upgrade (with Mac Pro 5,1 EFI) (updated)
- HGST 6TB NAS Hard Drive not mounting on restart in 2009-2012 Mac Pros
(drive mounts from a cold boot, but not after a reboot)
- Frequent Notebook Hard Drive Head Unloading (clicking) Revisited
- About Using OS X 'HDAPM' to disable Hard Drive Energy Saving Mode (reports/download/info)
- Another report on 2009 Mac Pro Upgrades (3.46GHz CPU, GPU, RAM, EFI)
- Feedback on Booting from USB 3.0 drives connected to Thunderbolt Docks
(article updated to list boot requirements)
- Reminder on potential USB 3.0 Interference with 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth
- 2009 Mac Pro owner notes on (12-core) Dual 3GHz X5675 Upgrade and More
- Report on 2009 Mac Pro CPU Upgrade and mainboard Repairs
- Info on (user compiled) NTP Update for OS X 10.6/Snow Leopard
- More on 2009-2012 Mac Pro Northbridge Heatsink Retainer Repairs (fix overheating)
- Reports on Combo 802.11ac Wifi + Bluetooth 4.0 card kit for Mac Pros (added 4th report)
- 2006/2007 Mac Mini eSATA Card Mod Reports page updated (using ASM1061 based SATA3 card)
- Reminder on Screen Sharing & iTunes HD video playback problems (HDCP)
- Another 2009 Mac Pro NB (overheating) Heatsink Retainer Repair added to previous info
- Tips for fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes HD Movies/TV shows
(Notes, Causes and Tips that have helped in the past)
- Seagate/WD SATA3 Drive Jumper Tips for older Macs with SATA1 interfaces
- 2009 Mac Pro 6-core CPU Upgrade (3.46GHz W3690), Fixing NB Heatsink Retainers:
- 2009 Mac Pro 12-core CPU Upgrade - Dual 2.93GHz X5670 Westmere CPUs
- Report: QuickerTek 802.11ac QCard2 in 15" Retina MacBook Pro
- Mac Pro Northbridge High Temperatures? Check for a Broken Heatsink Retainer
- Reminder on which SATA2 Mac models that run SATA3 Drives at SATA1 speed
- Another Low-Cost 2009 Mac Pro Quad-Core 3.2GHz CPU Upgrade
- Report: 2008 Mac Pro with Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac PCIe card and OS X 10.10
- Report: iMac eSATA Mini-PCIe card Mod (updated)
- Late 2013 Mac Pro (DIY) CPU Upgrades and Benchmarks
- Report: 2006 Xserve Dual 3GHz Quad-Core X5365 CPUs Upgrade ($150)
- 2013 Mac Pro Guides on Installing/Removing Flash Drive, Ram, Multiple Displays, Audio & More
- Report: 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) Dual X5355 (Quad-Core) CPU Upgrade (under $60)
- 2007 Mac Pro (2,1) running OS X 10.9 Mavericks (with Radeon 7970 card)
- 2006 Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core CPUs ($70), EFI, PC 5770 ($75) Video Card Upgrades
- Setting OS X DVD Player to Output 5.1 Digital Audio (vs PCM) via HDMI to AVR/HDTV
- 2006 Mini T7400 (2.16GHz) Core2Duo CPU Swap
- (USB Cable) Tips for Errors and Problems Restoring Apple TVs
- Troubleshooting External Drive Disconnects/Spindown (and some Firmware Updates)
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Mac =
Upgrades just for
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for List)
SSDs up to 4TB
Fast SSDs for Most Macs/PCs
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12TB HDDs
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5in HDs & SSDs =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Repairs & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!