News Archive for Monday August 15, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the previous 3 days' news summary or the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
(We were down from Sunday evening to Monday Morning due to a severe storm that knocked out power here for much longer than my UPS could last. Storms like this have been very frequent this year.)
|Another Mac Mini Core2 Duo (2.33GHz) CPU Upgrade|
Added another report to the page on (2006-08) Mac Mini Core 2 Duo CPU Upgrades. (Those Mini's have a socketed CPU.) Here's a copy to save you a click.
"2006 Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz upgraded to Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz T7600 SL9SD.
Already upgraded the memory to 2GB a while ago and then decided to upgrade to a bigger Hard Drive. Whilst browsing for info, I noticed that a cpu upgrade was also possible - so I did that too.
Used the OWC video (at their DIY Videos page) to remind myself how to pull it apart and then the video on this page to remove the motherboard.
Got the cpu and a packet of nylon nuts and bolts from eBay and some thermal paste from the local computer shop. Everything went smoothly and I even managed not to break or damage the original pins that secure the heatsink.
I supported the head of the pin with the flat end of a lead pencil, pressed on the spring and squeezed the flared edges of the pin with a small pair of needle nose pliers. If you then release pressure on the spring slowly whilst still squeezing the flared ends, the pin will then pop gently through the board without flying off into your room somewhere.
Very happy with the results. Mini is much more responsive with no noticeable increase in heat or fan noise - just as quiet as it ever was!
All up cost was about $150 AUS (not including the HD). Could have done it for much cheaper using a T7200 2GHz but couldn't resist the T7600 when one came up.
For any CD Mini owner that upgraded their CPU (to a Core2Duo), if you later decide to upgrade to OS X Lion please report back. (Using earlier posted tip - i.e. install lion on drive connected to supported mac, then deleting "/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist" file.)
= From my Site Sponsor =
New Pricing Lows on OWC RAM w/Lifetime Warranty. A year ago 8GB was a good deal at $220 - now 16GB is as low as $138. RAM is about the easiest way to enhance an existing Mac and each OS has gotten better at taking advantage of available memory. 10.7 Lion being no exception.
- MacBook / MacBook Pro and Mac mini - up to 16GB Maximum (vs. 8GB factory). 4GB from $35.88, 8GB from $71.99. (12GB & 16GB 'Power user' now $499.99 and $929.99 - for 2011 models only)
- iMac - up to 32GB Maximum (vs. 16GB Factory). 4GB from $35.88, 8GB from $71.99, 16GB now from $137.99. (24GB & 32GB now $999.97 and $1847.99 - 2010 & 2011 iMac models only)
- Mac Pro - up to 96GB Maximum (vs. 64GB Factory). 16GB Kits from $169.99, 32GB Kits from $329.99
These prices are a huge savings vs. Apple factory installed options + fully OWC Tested and certified correct for the Apple models listed, Lifetime Warranty backed. See our full 'MaxRam' certified chart of support for beyond original 'maximum' supported memory levels. Click here for more info about the OWC Test Lab and the largest collection of Macs outside of Apple for the purpose of ongoing testing and certification. (We also have RAM for Xserves and PPC/Legacy Macs - see down the page here.)
*Note:* Customers can use the Amazon Checkout option for savings up to $50 instantly + another 5% rebated to the payment method by Amazon. This 'bonus' saving won't be around much longer but can make a big difference for those who act fast.
|Apple/Mac/SW related News/Articles/Updates:|
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Doc Updates
|Recent Articles/Tips and Reviews - Listing/links to articles and reviews you may have missed.|
|Previous Days News Summaries:
Friday August 12, 2011
Wednesday August 10, 2011
- Another under $20 AirDrop compatible card upgrade
- Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.x)
- Review of Mac Mini as an HTPC
- SSD Benchmarks: MacBook Air 2010 vs MacBook Air 2011 with/without Lion Encryption
- (Short) review of MacBook Air 11in
- Kingston Wi-Drive Review: Add Storage To iOS Devices
- OWC Radio #58 (new macs, Lion, Thunderbolt...)
- (Security) Updates for Adobe Flash, Shockwave, AIR
- Did Adobe hide 400 vulnerability fixes in latest Flash Player patch?
- Black Hat: 'OS X networks are significantly more vulnerable'
- OWC Represents 'Voice Of Consumers' SSD Usage at Flash Memory Summit 2011
- Vudu Avoids Apple Payday, Launches iPad Mobile Site
- Amazon sidesteps Apple with HTML5 'Kindle Cloud Reader'
- Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Mouse or Magic Trackpad using setup assistant (Apple)
- MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and MacBook Air (Mid 2011): Spotlight indexing may make the fans run (Apple)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 and Mid 2009): How to 'Erase and Install' using Remote Install Mac OS X (Apple)
- Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display (Apple)
- Apple Portables: How to determine that your portable has a Multi-Touch trackpad (Apple)
- OS X Lion: FaceTime - "There was an error processing registration" when signing in (Apple)
- OS X Lion Server: Unable to use Bluetooth Keyboard in Server Assistant (Apple)
- OS X Lion (Italian): Option to erase CD/RW does not appear in Disk Utility (Apple)
- Apple TV (2nd gen): How to enable VoiceOver (Apple)
- Apple TV: Depending on my country, what content can I buy or rent from the iTunes Store? (Apple)
- iTunes Store: How to enable Automatic Downloads (Apple)
- Troubleshooting Automatic Downloads for purchased Apps, Music, and Books (Apple)
- iPod: "Enable Disk Use" dimmed in Preferences (Apple)
- Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs (Apple)
- Logic Pro, Logic Express: Disable or Remove Audio Unit plug-ins to troubleshoot issues (Apple)
- Soundtrack Pro 3: Troubleshooting Audio Unit plug-in issues (Apple)
- Authentication issues when connecting to a Lion SMB server (Apple)
- OS X Lion: About Windows Migration Assistant (Apple)
- Apple TV (2nd generation): Third-party content provider information (Apple)
- How to back up your media in iTunes (Apple)
- Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store (Apple)
- Troubleshooting iPhone hardware (Apple)
- iOS: 'Mailbox Locked', account is in use on another device, or prompt to re-enter POP3 password (Apple)
- iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues (Apple)
- New USB Power Spec could deliver up to 100W
- Walmart to Exit MP3 Business on August 29
- Microsoft Fixes 22 Flaws in August Patch Tuesday
- Vizio's 8-inch Android tablet in some stores now, $299.99
- The Best Free VPN Clients
- Don't freak out, Facebook didn't publish your mobile contacts/Phone numbers
- Survey Finds Smartphone Apps Store Too Much Personal Data
- Team Fortress 2 Update Released
- Counter-Strike: Source Beta Updates Released
- Left 4 Dead 2 Update Released
- Portal 2 "Exile Vilify" Music Video Contest Winners Announced
Monday August 8, 2011
For links to previous news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!