News Archive for Monday August 22, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
|iTunes 10.4.1 Update:|
(as usual d/l button goes to www.apple.com/itunes/download/.)
iTunes 10.4.1 provides a number of improvements, including:
- Fixes a problem where the media keys on some third-party keyboards work inconsistently with iTunes
- Addresses issues with adding artwork to songs and videos
- Resolves an issue which may cause iTunes to become unresponsive when purchasing an HD movie
- Fixes a problem where iTunes may take longer than expected to open after waking your Mac from sleep
- Addresses issues with VoiceOver support
Hopefully this also fixes some issues reported with iTunes/Store after previous recent updates (iTunes 10.4, Quicktime update, etc). Did not fix a friend's recent problems trying to download a free digital copy movie. (Gets a screen full of html code after sending the redeem code/login and download never starts, despite it being accepted as valid and 'purchase' receipt generated.)
|(Flashed) Mac Radeon 6870s on Ebay|
In a follow-up to Friday's post about netkas' Mac (EFI64) ROM, there's already some of these flashed 6870's for sale (buy it now @$279) on eBay. (Figured it wouldn't take long.)
As mentioned in Friday's post, it's for 2008 and later (EFI64) Mac Pros, 10.6.8 or later. See the linked sale page (and original netkas posts) for other notes on support/features/function. Of course it has no mfr warranty, the seller lists a "30 Day (MB) Guarantee and 3 Month Warranty". (He included '5870' in the title for increased hits from searches. The 6870 IIRC is a lower-power (and a bit lower perf.) version of the 5870.)
|Reader Report: Samsung 128GB in 13in MacBook Air|
(Not sure how common this is and can vary by production run/build but it would be nice if it were a permanent change.)
"Mike, Just got my stock 1.7GHz, 13-inch MacBook Air and it has the Samsung 128GB SSD, not the slower Toshiba. (initial reports noted only the 256GB models had the faster Samsung flash)
|Apple Remote Desktop 3.5.1 Admin Update:|
(D/L page linked)
"Apple Remote Desktop 3.5.1 Admin
The 3.5.1 update is recommended for all Apple Remote Desktop users and addresses an issue related to reliability of generating reports.
For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4868.
(About the Apple Remote Desktop v3.5.1 Admin Update)
- Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Doc Updates (later added first)
- MacBook Air: Using Apple Hardware Test
- MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), iMac (Mid 2011 and later), Mac mini (Mid 2011): Recovering a lost firmware password
- iMac (Mid 2011): External features, ports, and connectors
- iMac (Late 2009 and Mid 2010): External features, ports, and connectors
- iMac (Early 2009): External features, ports, and connectors
- Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks
- Apple Portables: Progress bar appears after waking from sleep
- About the Apple Remote Desktop v3.5.1 Admin Update.
- OS X Lion: How to view additional system info at the Login window
- OS X Lion: Advanced Apache configuration
- Aperture: Learn about the difference between scaled and non-scaled watermarks
- Mac OS X: Mounting shared folders using an smb:// URL or the mount_smbfs command
- iPhoto '11: Faces not detecting all images of a person in your library?
- iPhoto '09: Faces not detecting all images of a person in your library?
- How to identify your iMac
- The New User's Guide for iTunes
- How to show or hide the iTunes Sidebar
- Keynote: Playing HDV footage in a Keynote presentation
- Keynote '08: How to get the slide list of a Keynote Presentation using the Quick Look feature in OS X Leopard
- How to back up your data and set up as a new device
- iOS: Setting up Exchange ActiveSync
- iOS: Setting up an email account
- MobileMe: Renewing an expired or cancelled account
- Setting up Outlook for the MobileMe Calendar
- iTunes, MobileMe: Understanding the Data Change Alert when syncing with Windows
- Boot Camp: MacBook Pro built-in keyboard mapping in Windows
|Recent Articles/Tips and Reviews - Listing/links to articles and reviews you may have missed.|
|Previous Days News: See the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!