News Archive for Monday, July 29th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Some MacBook Air owners still having WiFi Problems:|
Although the July 18th 2013 MBA Software Update helped some users, the thread on New Macbook Air WiFi problems is still growing. (As of this morning, 11 pages added since then, although a few users have many posts.) Some have replaced their WiFi base in-home, but for wifi use in travel you may or may not have problems. (Some Apple WiFI related docs - How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity and Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points.) One owner said he bought an edimax USB wifi adapter for travel just in case, although it requires a driver/util install.
Like most anything, some owners have never had a problem, although enough have reported it (and in some cases returned the MBA because of it) that Apple released the software update after some user beta testing. (Some said the update just performs a keepalive/reconnect as needed.) A few noted they're still sending WiFi diagnostic reports to Apple even after the update, indicating they continue looking into the problems. (As well as fixes for some real world 802.11ac performance issues.)
|Any software to Control Sony CX7000ES (BR/DVD Changer) from OS X/Mac Mini?|
Trying to help a friend/reader with this that doesn't want to run (Bootcamp/VM) Windows (for something like Cinemar's DVDLobby) or rip discs to a NAS. My first thought was Sony's Media Control app if he had a mobile device, but it doesn't list the (no longer made) CX7000ES in the supported devices list. Not sure if there's any addons for Plex or XBMC to do this but sent him links to their product pages/forums. (And to an A/V forum thread on the Sony changers.)
I know it's a long shot, but if you're using a Mac/OS X to control a Sony BDP-CX7000ES (400 disc BR/DVD Changer) let me know the details. Thanks.
(I'd have thought a tablet with a remote app would suffice but I guess he has bigger plans.)
BTW: I didn't realize how much people are asking for CX7000's now. Just before they were phased out you could find them for around $600 or so (new in box) delivered. (Original MSRP was $2000 IIRC.) Now seeing some listings for $3-5,000. Even the lower end CX960 model prices are outrageous. But not sure how many are actually selling at those prices. (One auction listing for a region free 7000 had a BIN at $19,999!)
I know some owners have been unable to get repairs done under warranty (claimed due to lack of parts), so not sure how much I'd want to put into supporting one of these. (Said he has several, some bought new for appx $650, some as refurbs just before the end for $199.xx. wow.)
|Apple/products related News/Reviews/Tips/SW Updates:
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
= From my Sponsor =
miniStack MAX, 4-in-1 Storage Solution
Combines an external drive, optical drive, SD card reader + USB powered hub. Interfaces: 2x USB3.0/2.0, eSATA, 2x FW800 and USB charging port. Available with up to 4TB HD (+ Blu-Ray writer or CD/DVD writer/Blu-Ray-reader) or as an enclosure kit (add your own drive(s))
[Several 0GB Enclosure kits and optical drives on site specials page]
Listing/links of updates, mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Friday July 26th, 2013 News Archive
- Apple Rumors Ranked From Dumbest to Most Plausible
- New Phishing Scam Exploits Apple Dev Center Outage
- Apple Developer Site System Status page Updated
- Review: Belkin's $299 Thunderbolt Express Dock
- Apple Pulls Hat Trick with Brand of the Year Polls
- The Humble Bundle Weekly Sale
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- DVD or CD sharing Using Remote Disc
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 and later): Frequently asked questions about HDMI
- Opening iWork for iOS and iWork '09 documents in iWork for iCloud beta
- About file quarantine in OS X
- iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ
- iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation
- iPhoto: Calendars printed on your home printer may print with incorrect page orientation
- Other News/Tech/Reviews/OT:
- Drobo 5D Review
- Guide to the Oculus Rift VR Headset
- $17,000 gaming PC pushes 1.5B pixels per second
- Striking It Rich on No-Budget Instructional Videos
- Activision Blizzard splits from Vivendi in $8bn buyout
- Intel announces new 530 Series SSDs (M.2, mSATA, 2.5")
- 5 Charged in 'Largest Known' U.S. Data Breach Scheme
- Are Feds Asking Tech Companies for User Passwords?
- Scientist banned from revealing codes used to start luxury cars
- TCL Plans to Sell 50" Ultra HD LCD TV for $999
- Review: Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
- Review: SVS Ultra Speaker System
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!