|Archive of Monday, July 14th, 2014 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
( Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|2009 Mac Pro 12-core CPU Upgrade (Dual 2.93GHz X5670 Westmere):|
A reader sent notes/tips on upgrading his 2009 Mac Pro with 2 X5670 2.93GHz 6-core CPUs ($370 used). Includes link to an instructional video guide and his notes/tips when things didn't go as planned. (6-core CPU support requires unofficial MacPro 5,1 EFI update. IIRC, 2010 Mac Pro firmware also adds support for faster ram and HDMI audio.)
|Mac/OS X Compatible 802.11ac Adapters (PCIe, mPCIe, USB) Page Updated|
Updated our page on Mac/OS X compatible 802.11ac adapters with a report on using a QuickerTek QCard2 in a 15" MacBook Pro (Retina). (Updated with comments on card install/swap.)
|Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Updated article with Mainstage 3 Settings Tips to Reduce/Minimize Audio Latency. (I/O Buffer Size, I/O Safety Buffer and Driver Latency Slider.)
- How to migrate data from another Mac using OS X Mavericks
- About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X (with list of Macs that support it)
- How to use multiple displays with your Mac in OS X 10.8 and earlier
- Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays
- Connecting your Mac to a home stereo, iPod, iPad, musical instruments or speakers
- About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy
- Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
- Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
- Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting
- OS X Server: Creating a single NetBoot, NetInstall or NetRestore image for multiple Macs
- What is "other" space in About This Mac?
- About OS X Recovery Disk Assistant
- About the OS X Application Firewall
- About Safari Internet plug-in management
- How to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari
- Choosing good passwords in Mac OS X
- How to change your OS X account name or home directory name
- iTunes: How to share music and video
- Setting up Home Sharing on your Computer
- Setting up Home Sharing on your iOS device
- iOS: Disabling digital camera notification in OS X
- iOS: Disabling digital camera notification in Windows
- Updating OS X and Mac App Store apps
- About AirPort base station firmware updates
- Installing QuickTime Player 7
- About QuickTime 7 Pro registration keys (codes)
- Mac Basics: QuickTime Player plays, edits, and shares video and audio files
- Switch Basics: Migrate your Windows files to your Mac
- iOS: Troubleshooting Mail
- iCloud: Why am I getting junk mail (spam)?
- Redeeming an iTunes Digital Copy
- iTunes: Syncing media content to iPod
- Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
- How to rent a movie from the iTunes Store on Apple TV
- How to Change or remove your payment information from your iTunes Store account
- How to Create an iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store account without a credit card
- Understanding iOS device capacity and usage
(Topic-based page of Tips, Troubleshooting & How-To Guides for Mac/OS X/iOS Users here.)
|Apple/Mac/iOS related News/Reviews/Updates:|
Listing/links of Updates, DIY mod/upgrade articles, Tips and more you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous News Archive Summary:|
Friday July 11th, 2014 News
- Mac Pro Northbridge High Temperatures due to broken Heatsink retainer
- Apple's Swift Developer's Blog
- App Store At 6: How It Became One Of Apple's Greatest Strengths
- Tips for iPhoto '09 Unexpected quits when exporting photos (OS X 10.9.2 or later)
- How to Combine PDF documents using Preview in OS X
- How to Share a Podcast using iOS Podcasts app
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!