|Archive of Oct. 28th to Nov. 1st, 2019 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|macOS Catalina 10.15.1, Security Updates for Mojave and High Sierra|
- See Details and Download Updaters for macOS 10.15.1 and the Security Updates.
(If you use Nvidia's web graphics drivers for 10.13.6, see Oct. 30th driver update below.)
FYI: Users of iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and early WiFi+Cellular iPads, see below for an Apple article on a GPS update for proper function, required before 12:00 a.m. UTC on Nov 3, 2019.
(iPhone 5 update required to continue using App Store, iCloud, email, web, other services.)
|Safari 13.0.3, iOS 13.2, iPadOS 13.2, iOS 12.4.3 and tvOS 13.2 Updates|
- See Details and Release Notes.
|Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2019-006)|
Oct. 30th, 2019 download page of graphics driver 3188.8.131.52.40.132 for macOS 10.13.6.
(No build number listed, but assumed for Oct. 29th Security Update 2019-006 build.)
As before, download page info includes this installation note.
"Installation Note: The installer requires System Preferences to be launched during the installation process. Do not manually close System Preferences until after clicking Allow in the Security & Privacy Preferences, later in the process.
The "Additional Information" tab on the download page has a step-by-step install guide.
The installer also requires rebooting the system after the installation process. Do not launch any other applications until the process is complete and the system has been rebooted.
New in Release 3184.108.40.206.40.132"
(No new info, same notes on D/L page as previous drivers, so I won't repeat it here.)
If you can't select the page's 'Accept' terms/conditions button, here's a direct download link.
(As of post time, the download page's CUDA link goes to CUDA 418.105 from Feb. 27th, but the latest download as of 10/30/2019 is CUDA 418.163 from May 10th, 2019 or check for a CUDA update in the Nvidia prefs.)
= from my sponsor =
OWC's Clearance/Garage Sale has parts, upgrades and more.
RAM, Enclosures, Repair Parts, and also Macs
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Software Updates, PR
|Firefox 70.0.1 with OpenH264 plugin update for Catalina|
October 31st Firefox 70.0.1 update release notes lists two bug fixes and includes an updated OpenH264 video plugin for macOS 10.15 users.
|Safari Technology Preview 95 released|
October 30th Safari Technology Preview 95 Release Notes with Shadow DOM, Images, WebRTC, Clipboard API, Picture-in-Picture Web API, Service Workers, Back-Forward Cache, and Web Inspector improvements and fixes. Download available for macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina.
(If a previous version is installed, use software update in System Prefs.)
= from my sponsor =
|watchOS 6.1 and watchOS 5.3.3 Updates
- watchOS 6.1 release notes (build 17S84) and security fixes.
- Optimizes performance, has security updates, improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Resolves issue where Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse watch face does not speak time.
- Addresses an issue where the calendar complication may not display events.
- Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data.
- watchOS 5.3.3 release notes (build 16U620)
- This update provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates|
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- How to AirPlay audio
- How to Transfer Time Machine backups from one backup disk to another
- Vintage and obsolete Apple products listing
- Use the Mac operating system that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version
- How to use an external graphics processor with your Mac
- Has a new note about support in macOS Catalina 10.15.1:
"AMD Radeon RX 5700, 5700 XT, and 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
If you've installed macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later, you can use these graphics cards that are based on the AMD Navi RDNA architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the AMD Radeon RX 5700, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, and AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary.
Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W4
- Razer Core X4"
- How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Update your iPhone 5 to continue using App Store, iCloud, email, web, & other services
- Update your iPhone or iPad software to avoid issues with location
"Starting just before 12:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019, some iPhone and iPad models introduced in 2012 and earlier will require an iOS update to maintain accurate GPS location..."
Article has a list of affected devices and updated iOS versions.
(iOS 10.3.4 for iPhone 5 and iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
iOS 9.3.6 for iPhone 4s, iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA models only) and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.)
- (How to) Set up Exchange ActiveSync on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- How to create a bootable macOS installer
- How to move your content to a new Mac
- Apple had an installer Certificate expire late Oct. - here's pages to redownload them
(I posted a workaround/tip years ago for that - turn back the clock when installing.)
- How to upgrade to macOS Catalina (10.15)
- How to upgrade to macOS Mojave (10.14)
- How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra (10.13)
- How to upgrade to macOS Sierra (10.12)
- How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan (10.11)
- How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite (10.10)
(The above are also on our Help page's macOS Upgrade section.
Downloads of Delta/Combo Updaters and Security Updates are at tips.html#OS.
Covers current OS versions/updates all the way back to OS X 10.6.8.)
|Other News and Software Updates
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software and driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
October 21st to 25th, 2019 News Archive
- macOS 10.15 Supplemental Update 2?
- Micromat Drive Scope 1.2.7 update
- Pixelmator Pro 1.5.1 Update
- Download Legacy Content Packages for Logic 9 and MainStage 2
- Firefox 70.0 release notes (includes security fixes)
- Firefox ESR 68.2.0 release notes (includes security fixes)
- Chrome 78.0.3904.70 stable channel update (37 security fixes)
- Compatibility Tests of Helios FX, Mac Mini and macOS 10.15
- Yamaha AV Controller iOS App v5.50 (iOS 10 or later)
- How to Use the New Picture-In-Picture (Pip) Features of Safari 13
- ROME: Total War - Alexander v1.13 reinforced for iPad
- Kingston Releases DC450R SSD (480GB to 3.84TB)
- 2019 LG C9/E9/W9 OLED TVs 04.70.05 Update
- Tip for AirPlay problems with LG OLED TVs
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!