Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Tips, OS Updates, WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.14 Update (release notes)|
Available via in-app update for CCC 5.x users or full download at bombich.com/download.
Info from the November 14th, 2019 Carbon Copy Cloner v5.1.14 release notes:
- Authentication errors that occur when failing to mount the destination Data volume are now handled correctly (i.e. you'll get a "Reset Password" prompt instead of a generic error).
- CCC no longer avoids rebuilding the dynamic linker shared cache on Macs with less than 4GB of RAM. We found that this resolved system performance issues in the past, but now it only exacerbates system performance issues on these anemic systems when running macOS Catalina.
- CCC will now disallow the conversion of an HFS+ formatted Drobo volume to APFS because Drobo does not currently support APFS. This does not prevent you from reformatting a Drobo volume yourself and selecting it as a destination for a Catalina bootable backup, but CCC is no longer going to perform the task that places the Drobo volume in an unsupported configuration. If you want to use your Drobo device as a bootable backup, you should share that feedback with Drobo.
Added a "Reveal Data Volume" button to the source and destination selector when the applicable volume is a mounted System volume.
- Catalina: CCC's Cloning Coach now warns that a FireWire-attached destination is not bootable on Catalina+ (Apple no longer supports this configuration).
- Catalina: Errors encountered during the System volume backup will no longer cause the Data volume backup to fail, and the errors are now presented with more helpful advice.
- High Sierra+: Fixed an issue that resulted in non-bootable clones when specifying a volume other than the current startup disk as the source.
- The task selection in CCC's sidebar is retained more reliably.
- Fixed a logic issue that caused CCC's restart or shutdown requests to fail when no user is logged in.
- Catalina: Addressed a issue where an "On reconnect" task would fail to run when the destination volume was reconnected in cases where the source is the startup disk and the System volume had been replaced entirely during a system software update.
- CCC now works around volume unmount interference caused by CleanMyDrive. That product can still cause trouble for Disk Utility, however, so consider disabling that software if you're having trouble with an HFS+-to-APFS conversion, for example.
- Addressed an issue in which the source and destination selections might not be cleared out in Simple Mode.
- Fixed an issue in which CCC would report that it was unable to collect the details about the underlying volume when selecting a folder on a volume within a volume group, and when that underlying volume's name had a non-ASCII character (e.g. "CCC Backup - Données").
More info on Carbon Copy Cloner 5 (including 30 day trial) at bombich.com.
= from my sponsor =
|= Return to News Page =|
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More