|Archive of October 7th to 11th, 2019 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|macOS 10.15 Catalina and Safari 13.0.2 Released|
macOS 10.15 "Catalina" released on Oct. 7th. (First public release Build number is 19A583.) Apple's How to Upgrade to macOS Catalina article includes a list of Catalina compatible Macs. Apple also posted a macOS Catalina press release and added a macOS Catalina discussion forum.
It's a major upgrade .0, so I would install it on a separate drive/volume, NOT over a previous version. Better yet, wait until it's been patched a few times. Make sure you have enough free drive space. If you have antivirus/security software installed disable it BEFORE upgrading.
And remember macOS 10.15 does not allow 32-bit apps to run. (Some 32-bit apps may not have 64-bit updates.) Also check your Printer Driver for an update compatible with Catalina.
Here's a clip from Apple's support article on 32-bit apps:
"When upgrading to macOS Catalina, the installer shows a list of recently used apps that are 32-bit. You can review this list before choosing whether to cancel or continue the installation."
Before upgrading, I'd suggest a TM backup and a Bootable Clone of your current OS.
(Apple support articles list has updated How to Create a Bootable Installer guide.)
Safari 13.0.2 available via software update for macOS 10.14.6 and 10.13.6.
(Apple security updates page lists it with "no published CVE entries".)
Xcode 11.1 Update
Also released is Apple Xcode 11.1 (for macOS 10.14.4 or later)
- Xcode 11.1 includes Swift 5.1 and SDKs for iOS 13.1, iPadOS 13.1, tvOS 13, watchOS 6, and macOS Catalina 10.15.
= from my sponsor =
|Little Snitch 4.4.3 Update (macOS 10.15 compatible)|
October 7th update to Little Snitch. They note "Please upgrade to this version before you upgrade to macOS Catalina!" For info on macOS Catalina compatibility, Improvements and bug fixes, see the version 4.4.3 release notes.
|Final Cut Pro X 10.4.7, Logic Pro X 10.4.7, Compressor 4.4.5, Motion 5.4.4 Updates
(There's also an update to the Logic Remote App.)|
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.12 Update|
See CCC 5.1.12 release notes for details on 9 fixes/improvements.
(Available via in-app update or full download at bombich.com/download.)
|Pixelmator Pro 1.5 'Avalon' and Pixelmator iOS 2.4.7 Updates|
Pixelmator Pro 1.5 supports macOS Catalina, Multi-GPUs, EDR mode, ML Denoise, and promises improved performance. See linked page change notes for more info.
Pixelmator for iOS version 2.4.7 includes "some fixes for issues introduced with iOS 13".
|DisplayLink v5.2.1 Beta 2 USB Software Update for macOS 10.15 Catalina|
The DisplayLink macOS USB Software releases page has v5.2.1 Beta 2 software for macOS Catalina. (Software for older macOS versions are listed down the main page.)
= from my sponsor =
|Apple/Products related News, Updates, Tips, PR (later first)
= from my sponsor =
OWC's Clearance/Garage Sale has parts, upgrades and more.
RAM, Enclosures, Repair Parts, and also Macs
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.
- How to upgrade to macOS Catalina
- How to create a bootable macOS installer (updated to include macOS Catalina)
- About the security content of macOS Catalina 10.15
- How to update the software on your Mac
- 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later
(32-bit apps won't open in macOS 10.15 Catalina.)
- (How to) Find out which macOS your Mac is using
- About macOS Recovery
- How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
- About the screens on your Mac as it starts up
- How to connect to the Internet with your Mac
- Switch libraries with the Music app or Apple TV app in macOS Catalina
- If your Mac is lost or stolen
- What happened to iTunes? (not in Catalina)
- Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer (Catalina)
- Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer
- Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer
- Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi
- Get help with iCloud Keychain
- (How to) Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac
- Logic Remote (App) release notes (revised for v1.3.5, requires iOS 13.0 or later)
- Locate and view your connected device on your computer
- How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- Get help with iOS update and restore errors
- If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- If you see error 53 when you update or restore your iPhone or iPad
- What to do if you need more space for an iOS update
- How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- How to Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings
- If You Forgot the Passcode for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch or Device is Disabled
- Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- If you see a Cellular Update Failed or Apple Pay Not Available alert after iOS update or restart
- Institutions that support health records on iPhone and iPod touch
- About the security content of Swift 5.1.1 for Ubuntu
- About the security content of iTunes 12.10.1 for Windows
- About the security content of iCloud for Windows 7.14
- About the security content of iCloud for Windows 10.7
|Other News, Software Updates, and Reviews (later first)
= From my Sponsor =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software and driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
September 30th to Oct. 4th, 2019 News Archive
- Safari Technology Preview 93 released
- How to Fix macOS Catalina Installation Issues
- Updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps for Mac and iOS
- Micromat MachineProfile 1.3.10 update (Catalina compatible)
- iOS 13.1.2, iPadOS 13.1.2, watchOS 6.0.1 Updates
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Service Program for No Power Issues
- How to Customize the Finder Toolbar in macOS
- Mac Total War: SHOGUN 2 & A Total War Saga: Fall of the Samurai updated to 64-bit
- Total War: WARHAMMER II - The Hunter & the Beast DLC for macOS
- Apple Denied Tariff Relief on 5 Mac Pro Parts After Staying in TX
- Malvertiser Exploited Chrome and WebKit Bugs to Infect Over 1 Billion Ads
- Firefox 69.0.2 release notes lists 3 bug fixes
- Advisory on Mitigating Recent VPN Vulnerabilities
- Firmware Updates for LG C8P/E8P/W8P and B8P OLED TVs
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!