|Archive of August 26th to 30th, 2019 News Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Tips/OS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Carbon Copy Cloner version 5.1.11 Update (Catalina Compatible)|
See CCC 5.1.11 release notes for details on 8 fixes/improvements.
(Available via in-app update or full download at bombich.com/download.)
|Revised macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update Released|
On August 26th, Apple posted a revised macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update (originally released August 1st). The revised update includes new bug fixes, and a security fix. After installation the macOS Mojave 10.14.6 build number is 18G95. Apple revised the download page date and list of changes - which now includes more than just a fix for sleep problems.
"macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update (Aug. 26, 2019)
The download page now lists the size as 1.26 GB. (Aug. 1st release listed 954.8 MB.)
Apple also posted a new article About the security content of macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update today. (The original Aug. 1st update had none.)
This update contains bug fixes that improve the stability, performance, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users. This update:
Resolves an issue that may cause certain Mac notebooks to shut down during sleep
Fixes an issue that may degrade performance when working with very large files
Addresses an issue that may prevent Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, and GarageBand from updating
FYI: Apple revised the macOS 10.14.6 Update (delta and combo) download pages, they're now dated August 26th. (They were originally posted July 22nd.) I assume this is to add the 10.14.6 Supplemental Update.
|Apple/Products related News, Tips, Updates, PR (later first)
- Screen Replacement Program for Aluminum Models of Apple Watch Series 2 and 3
"Apple has determined that, under very rare circumstances, a crack may form along the rounded edge of the screen in aluminum models of an Apple Watch Series 2 or Series 3. The crack may begin on one side and then may continue around the screen as shown (images on page)...
Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will replace the screen on eligible Apple Watch units that exhibit this type of crack, free of charge..."
(See linked program page for more details and Service Process.)
- A Preview of Apple's September 10 Event (sponsor blog)
- Apple sends invites for Sept. 10 event (new iPhones, possibly other products) (cnbc)
- Apple Special Event September 10, 2019 at 10 a.m. PDT (Apple events page)
- Apple offers customers even more options for safe, reliable repairs (press release)
"New Independent Repair Provider Program Expands Genuine Parts Access to More Repair Businesses... There is no cost to join Apple's independent repair program. To qualify for the new program, businesses need to have an Apple-certified technician who can perform the repairs. The process for certification is simple and free of charge. To learn more and apply, visit https://support.apple.com/irp-program/. Qualifying repair businesses will receive Apple-genuine parts, tools, training, repair manuals and diagnostics at the same cost as AASPs."
(The IRP program page currently mentions only out of warranty iPhone repairs.)
- A Very Deep Dive Into iOS Exploit Chains Found in the Wild (google project zero)
(A patch for this vulnerability was included in the Feb. 7, 2019 iOS 12.1.4 update.
Also, Apple disputed some of Google's comments in a message on iOS Security.)
- Improving Siri's privacy protections (Apple press release)
- How to Install a PCIe SSD in a 27" iMac (Retina 5K, Late 2014-Mid 2015 (sponsor blog)
- How Web Content Can Affect Power Usage (webkit.org)
- Little Snitch blog post about the story behind CVE-2019-13013.
This blog post targets fellow software developers. It's a story of how it could happen that we shipped a version of Little Snitch with a serious vulnerability and, more importantly, what we can learn from it... Is other software also vulnerable?...
(and this later comment worth noting)
Talking about "permanently": Every installer application which needs root permissions is now urged to install a system-wide daemon for this purpose. This system-wide daemon is usually left behind, because Apple provides no API for removing it. If you look at /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools on your computer, you'll probably find a couple of them. If you have not done a clean macOS install for a while, there may be some very old helper tools from long ago, maybe from an app you just tried once. All these helpers are still there, waiting for a job to be done - or somebody to exploit a vulnerability."
- How to Use Optimized Storage in macOS (sponsor blog)
- Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - Eight Princes DLC for macOS (feral interactive)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates (later first)
Page of How-To, Troubleshooting & Tips for Mac/OS X/iOS Users from Airplay to Thunderbolt.|
= from my sponsor =
|iOS 12.4.1, tvOS 12.4.1, watchOS 5.3.1 Updates released (Aug. 26th)|
|Developer Beta Updates|
August 27th to 30th Developer releases (later first).
(Apple also has Public betas. See the Beta FAQ for info on joining or unenrolling.)
- Reality Composer beta 5 (104.2)
- macOS Catalina 10.15 beta 7 (19A546d)
- Xcode 11 beta 7 (11M392r)
- iOS 13.1 beta (17A5821e)
- iPadOS 13.1 beta (17A5821e)
- tvOS 13 beta 8 (17J5564c)
- watchOS 6 beta 9 (17R5575a)
= from my sponsor =
OWC's Clearance/Garage Sale has parts, upgrades and more.
RAM, Enclosures, Repair Parts, and also Macs
|Other News, and Software Updates|
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software and driver updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
|Previous News Archive Summary:
August 19th to 23rd, 2019 News Archive
- Carbon Copy Cloner v5.1.10 Released
- Safari Technology Preview 90 (available for Mojave/Catalina)
- Mac Pixelmator Pro version 1.4.1 update
- Micromat TechTool Pro 11.0.5 update
- VLC Media Player for Mac v3.0.8 update
- How to Clean Install macOS Catalina
- Apple readies Larger Macbook Pro, Camera-Focused Pro iPhones, new iPads
- Video: How to Install a PCIe SSD in a (Late 2013) 27-inch iMac
- Tribune's iPhone 7 radio frequency radiation tests exceed FCC limits
- A Used Mac Buyer's Guide
- Apple Support/Troubleshooting/How-To Article Updates
- How to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.
- How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac.
- How to transition from Back to My Mac.
- Institutions that support health records on iPhone and iPod touch.
- How to Transfer Time Machine backups from one backup disk to another.
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!