News Archive for Monday, December 3rd, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
|2012 Macs: USB 3.0 Interference with Bluetooth/2.4GHz WiFi:|
I've seen some complaints about poor Bluetooth performance with 2012 Mac Minis that used USB 3.0 hard drives. (And could also affect 2.4GHz WiFi.) I noticed this paragraph (bottom of page) on the subject in an Apple support doc on Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers FAQ, although from the wording it seems targeted to the USB 3.0 equipped Mac Notebooks but that may be due to the fact it was written before USB 3.0 Mac desktops were available:
"I sometimes have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer. What could be wrong?
Some USB 3 devices, hard drives in particular, can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Do not place hard drives or other USB devices behind the rear of your Mac near at the hinge of your screen. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there may interfere with your wireless connections. See this white paper for more information."
The linked white paper (PDF) at usb.org on the subject is from Intel - USB 3.0 RF Interference Impact on 2.4GHz Wireless Devices.
Update: (Dec 6th, 2012)
OWC posted a Late-2012 Mini BT module DIY shielding video in their blog.
|Apple/product related Reviews/Tips/Guides/Op-Ed/Alerts/Updates
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles: (incl. weekend)
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (Including Info/tests of 2012 Mac Mini video problems, DIY Fusion drives in older Macs and more.)
|Previous news summary:|
Friday, Nov. 30th, 2012 News Archive
- Internal Photos of Late-2012 iMac 21.5 inch
- 16GB Ram install in new 21.5" iMac (w/Take Apart Video)
- Review of Late-2012 iMac and Mac mini
- First look: Apple's pretty iTunes 11's a speed demon
- 7 features Apple killed off in iTunes 11
- New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Issues updating via the Mac App Store
- Some car stereos require a firmware update for AVRCP 1.4 Bluetooth compatibility
- iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ
- iCloud: Account troubleshooting
- iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting
- Other News/Reviews/Alerts/Op-Ed/OT:
- Intel's Broadwell may put an end to CPU swap-outs
- Deadline for Cash from LCD Class Action Suit Is Dec. 6
- Review: Blue Aura v30 Blackline Tube Desktop System
- Microsoft Said to Plan Next Xbox Console for 2013 Holiday Season
- West of Eden: Director Barry Sonnenfeld's Dream Theater
- Staples to start offering 3D printing services
- Behind the Wheel of the Tesla Model S
- AMD Trinity Buyer's Guide
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!