News Archive for Thursday, November 29th, 2012
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
( Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|OS X 10.8.2 Update Build for Late 2012 Macs available again|
This update (later build of 10.8.2) is available again. It was originally released on Oct. 24th, but pulled appx Nov 17th and restored (w/later build) on Nov. 29th. (Same page URL, same Oct. 24th page date, same -listed- D/L size** but an even later build number.)
OS X 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, (Late 2012) 21.5" iMac and Mac mini (654.49 MB)
This update is recommended for all 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac mini (Late 2012) systems.
It includes all features and updates from OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 plus system-specific enhancements and fixes for Late 2012 systems.
System Requirements: OS X 10.8.1
I wonder if the Late-2012 21.5in iMacs to be available Friday will have 10.8.2 already installed or need this update.
(** D/L file size of tonight's updater (same filename) is slightly larger (less than 1MB) than the original updater I downloaded on Oct. 24th. A very small delta, but maybe it includes the 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 keychain fixes? Anyone that updated tonight from 10.8.1 see the Suppl. Update 2.0 appear in SU afterwards?)
Update: I decided to see if tonight's 10.8.2 D/L updater would reinstall over a previous Late-2012 Mini's 10.8.2 build 12C2034 (which also had the later 10.8.2 Suppl. Update 2.0 installed) - it did. I rebooted and checked the OS X Build number - it's 12C3104.
(Also checked to see if there were any changes in a few HD4000/graphics related files I'd listed in the article on 2012 Mac Mini/HD4000 video flicker here - no changes to their reported versions.)
|Apple LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.1 (info/download)|
(Download page linked. Odd it just appeared today but D/L page dated Nov. 27th.)
"About LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.1 (875 KB)
This update addresses an issue with the 27-inch LED Cinema Display that may prevent sound from playing back through the speakers on the display.
Please leave your 27-inch LED Cinema Display attached to your Mac during the update process. Your screen may go black momentarily while the update is installing.
Updated FW versions are:
System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.8.2 or later"
If you've not had any problems previously, not sure I'd apply this yet based on what I've seen initially with an updated (MDP) LED Cinema Display. (Bought used on CL for under $350 from grad student.) I used the D/L updater installed while booted in OS X 10.8.2. The update doesn't force a restart, but no audio from the display here until after a reboot (which toggles the MDP display) and going into the sound prefs (again). And after a 2nd reboot, again no audio from the LED display unless going back into the Sound Prefs, reselect, etc. again. Decided to try a complete power off for a few minutes and then restarted and for grins, ran RP. Seemed ok. Rebooted twice again - audio still OK.
My experience may not be typical but just a FYI. If any other MDP LED cinema owners have applied this, let me know if you have seen any issues. Thanks.
(And the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule is often sage advice for firmware updates.)
|iTunes 11 Released/What's New:|
(avail via SU or www.apple.com/itunes/download.)
"About iTunes 11
Introducing the new iTunes.
With a dramatically simplified player, a completely redesigned Store, and iCloud features you'll love-this is the best iTunes yet.
- Completely Redesigned. iTunes makes it more fun to explore and enjoy your music, movies, and TV shows. You'll love the beautiful edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie, or TV show in your library, and getting personal recommendations any time you click In the Store.
- A New Store. The iTunes Store has been completely redesigned and now features a clean look that makes it simpler than ever to see what's hot and discover new favorites.
- Play purchases from iCloud. Your music, movie, and TV show purchases in iCloud now appear inside your library. Just sign-in with your Apple ID to see them. Double-click to play them directly from iCloud or download a copy you can sync to a device or play while offline.
- Up Next. It's now simple to see which songs are playing next, all from a single place. Just click the Up Next icon in the center display and they'll instantly appear. You can even reorder, add, or skip songs whenever you like.
- New MiniPlayer. You can now do a whole lot more with a lot less space. In addition to showing what's playing, MiniPlayer now includes album art, adds Up Next, and makes it easy to search for something new to play-all from a smaller and more elegant design.
- Improved search. It's never been easier to find what you're looking for in iTunes. Just type in the search field and you'll instantly see results from across your entire library. Select any result and iTunes takes you right to it.
- Playback syncing. iCloud now remembers your place in a movie or TV show for you. Whenever you play the same movie or episode from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it will continue right where you left off.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.
System Requirements: OS X version 10.6.8 or later"
I didn't see any doc on security fixes in iTunes 11, that line may just be boilerplate (as seen before) or they've just not posted the doc yet. (The doc for Apple TV 5.1.1 update fixes is online.)
|Apple TV 5.1.1 Update (new feature/fixes/security)|
(For 2nd/3rd generation AppleTV models. Hopefully fares better than prev 5.1 update)
|iTunes Up Next
||Adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.
|Stability and performance
||Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.
See today's Apple doc listing (below) for Info on 2 security fixes in this update.
(BTW: After all the problems reported with the (Sept. 24th) 5.1 update, I'd check the Apple TV forums for feedback first. Demand/server loads will be high the first day or so as well.)
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
Listing/links to updates, articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
|Previous News Pages:|
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More