News Archive for Thursday, February 7th, 2013: (w/some items from Friday)
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|(802.11N) AirPort Base and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.3:|
(updated w/tips to solve IPv6 Tunnel errors w/7.6.3 firmware)
Download page linked. (See notes below on problems/how to revert back)
"About AirPort Base Station & Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.3
This update is for all 802.11n AirPort Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Extend the Guest Wi-Fi network for a network configured with multiple AirPort Base Stations
- Ability to add a WPS capable Wi-Fi printer
- Support for additional countries
It is recommended that AirPort Utility 5.6 or later be installed before updating to Firmware version 7.6.3. Configuring the extended Guest network requires AirPort Utility 6.2 and Mac OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later.
Note: This firmware update is for all 802.11n capable AirPort base stations and Time Capsules.
For detailed information on AirPort base station and Time Capsule firmware updates, including instructions how to install the update, please visit: All about Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Express base station firmware updates. (current title: 'About AirPort base station firmware updates')
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222."
(nothing there on this update yet as today. It may be leftover boilerplate.)
Normally I like to watch for feedback (Apple's Forums, etc) before applying new firmware, especially in cases where I'm not having any problems or don't need the new features.
(FYI: There's some problem reports on 7.6.3 in Apple's Airport Base Stations forum, for instance with IPv6 connections. A reader said he had to revert back to previous firmware. (Info on how to revert back to previous versions included in this doc on Airport Firmware.))
Update w/Tip for iPv6 Tunnel Problems with 7.6.3 Firmware: (2/19/2013)
On Feb 19th, Apple posted a new support doc on IPv6 Tunnel Error after installing firmware 7.6.3 in router/NAT mode that includes tips to solve the problem.
|Apple AirPort Utility 6.2 for Mac (OS X 10.7-10.8):|
(Download page linked.)
"About AirPort Utility 6.2 for Mac (20.64 MB)
AirPort Utility 6.2 contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
- The ability to extend the Guest Wi-Fi network on a network that is configured with multiple AirPort Base Stations
- The ability to add a WPS-capable Wi-Fi printer
- Improved international support
System Requirements: OS X 10.7.5 or later, OS X 10.8.2"
My (old) work machine runs 10.5.8 and just realized I'd downloaded by never installed Airport Utility 5.6.1 for Leopard/Snow Leopard (released 6/11/2012).
|Apple/products related News/Tech/Op-Ed/SW Updates:
See below for Apple's new support article about critical Adobe Flash Updates and blocked vulnerable versions via XProtect in OS X 10.6-10.8. (Deja-Vu, just like Java.)
|New/Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
BTW: I've had some questions about repairs to older Apple TVs and those out of warranty. The Apple TV Service FAQ has info on out of warranty service, although I've never used it personally. (Someone also recently asked about cloning their 1st Gen Apple TV HD. My Apple TV Hard Drive upgrade guide has links to software I used for that. (Original source went MIA, but a reader's mirror was added.) For those with a failed Apple TV HD, I don't have a source for the drive image. Not sure if sponsor OWC's Apple TV upgrade service requires the OEM HD to be working or not.)
Listing/links of updates to mod/upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed. (DIY Fusion drives, Low-Cost 2006 Mac Mini CPU Upgrades/unofficial EFI updates, Early Mac Pro CPU Upgrades/Unofficial EFI Updates, 2012 Mac Mini HDMI video problems/display tips/USB 3.0 interference, mods and more)
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Wednesday Feb. 6, 2013 News Archive
- Microsoft Surface Pro vs MacBook Air
- OS X Snow Leopard stubbornly rejects retirement
- Best Thunderbolt professional hardware
- LightWave 11.5: first release under new LW 3D Group
- iTunes Store Sets New Record: 25 Billion Songs Sold
- Reseller claims Mac Pro coming, Apple points to Cook's comments
- Apple Adds Self-Published Books to iTunes
- Op-Ed: Apple's Java sabotage is bad IT business
- Opera 12.14 for OS X (with crashfix per Changelog)
- Updated Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Articles:
- Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers
- Logic Pro, Logic Express: Using the QuickTime Music Synthesizer in sessions
- Apple TV: Unable to access Movies/TV Shows/other iTunes features after updating
- iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ
- iCloud: Photo Stream limits
- iCloud: Photo Stream troubleshooting
- iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview
- iPhone: Wireless carrier support and features
- Other News/PR/Alerts/Op-Ed/OT:
- Raspberry Pi Announces $25 Camera Module
- Xbox 720 GPU detailed: a last-gen Radeon?
- Amazon lands patent for selling on used digital content
- Microsoft Surface Pro gets tough early reviews
- The first 3D-printed human stem cells
- NASA Reveals Images of Comet ISON by Deep Impact
- PCW's Guide to tweaking (PC) GPU settings
- Preview: (new) 'Tomb Raider' game
- A Monty Python sci-fi movie?
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More