News Archive for Tuesday June 21, 2011:
Macs | CPU Upgrades | Video | Storage | Audio | Apps/OS/Network | Contact
Miss a Day?
See the previous 3 days' news summary or the Archives.
= Recent Articles and Reviews =
|Content Downloads for Final Cut Pro X/Motion 5 and ProApps QT Codecs:|
Related to today's earlier posts (below). Download pages linked:
(The QT Codecs update lists 10.5.6 or later/QT 7.6 required, others list OS X 10.6.7 (natch)).
BTW - see below for a ton of related Apple support docs, including user manuals for the new versions.
|New Time Capsule (up to 3TB) and Airport Extreme Base|
As hinted at in the code of the recent Airport Utility update, Apple has updated their Time Capsule (now 2TB $299 and 3TB $499) and Airport Extreme. (They were flagged as "new" (icons) but other than the TC capacity bump, I didn't notice any new features listed like the rumored update caching (and wondered about support for 3-stream/450Mbps?) but I didn't memorize the previous pages. One site originally listed simul dual-band as a new feature, but that was present in the previous 2 models - my 'early 2009' base and the 'late 2009' model with "Simultaneous Dual-Band II".) Per posts about a new FCC cert for the AE base however, the AE base must have been revised. Hopefully more details on actual changes will be available soon.
It may be they've not finished updating the pages as even the Apple store doesn't list them as of noon ET in the "New to the Store" sidebar.
(At my original post time (10AM Eastern), both the TC and AE page's 'Buy now' buttons linked to missing pages at the store. As of 10:45AM, the Buy buttons worked but the store pages had not been updated yet - showed 1TB/2TB Time Capsules. However as of noon ET, the TC store pages were updated to show 3TB and 2TB models.)
|Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4 available at App Store:|
(clip from the press release)
"Apple® today announced Final Cut Pro® X, a revolutionary new version of the world's most popular Pro video editing software which completely reinvents video editing with a Magnetic Timeline that lets you edit on a flexible, trackless canvas; Content Auto-Analysis that categorizes your content upon import by shot type, media and people; and background rendering that allows you to work without interruption.
Completely rebuilt from the ground up, Final Cut Pro X is a 64-bit app that takes full advantage of the latest Mac hardware and software so you never have to wait for the next edit, even if you're working with 4K video. Final Cut Pro X uses multi-threaded processing and the GPU on your graphics card for blazing fast background rendering and superb real-time playback performance. Additionally, a ColorSync-managed color pipeline ensures color consistency from import to output.
Final Cut Pro X also includes powerful tools for audio editing and color correction, and is complemented by two companion apps, Motion 5 for professional motion graphics and Compressor 4 for advanced media encoding.
Pricing & Availability
Final Cut Pro X is available today for $299.99 from the Mac App Store. Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are available today for $49.99 each from the Mac App Store. Full system requirements and more information on Final Cut Pro X can be found at www.apple.com/finalcutpro."
BTW - It appears this means the end of the line for Final Cut Express and FC Server. (And initial impressions of FCP X from Pro users don't seem good - some call it iMovie Pro.)
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Doc Updates
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: User manuals
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Installation best practices
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Run Software Update after installation to install Pro Apps QuickTime codecs (see above for D/L and Content updates)
- Final Cut Pro X: Release notes
- Motion 5: Release notes
- Compressor 4: Release notes
- Final Cut Pro X: Systems with two graphics cards may export QuickTime movies with green artifacts
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility
- Final Cut Pro X: Timecode of selected media in the Inspector may not display as expected
- Final Cut Pro X: Movie files from iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture do not appear in the media browser
- Final Cut Pro X: Distortion when creating Motion templates with non-square pixel aspect ratios
- Final Cut Pro X: Supported cameras and devices
- Final Cut Pro X: Options for importing media from photo-based devices
- Final Cut Pro X: Sorting content in the iLife Media Browser may cause unexpected behavior
- Final Cut Pro X: "Please Locate" dialog box appears when selecting Spaces presets
- Final Cut Pro X: High data rate media may cause unexpected behavior
- Final Cut Pro X: "Open in Timeline" edits cause permanent change to source media
- Final Cut Pro X: Keyboard commands may conflict with Spaces keyboard commands
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: "Please see if your boot volume has sufficient space" alert when sharing to an LG Blu-ray drive (fix is LG drive firmware update)
- Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: About the "Failed: Quicktime could not access a file. Offset too big" alert
- Compressor 3.5.3 & 4.0, Apple Qmaster: Network interface changes are not detected until Compressor is restarted
- Compressor 4: Issues applying a setting to effects-intensive Final Cut Pro X projects sent to Compressor
- Compressor 4.0: Batch files created with Compressor 3.5.3 open with Compressor 4.0
- Motion 5, Motion 4: Motion projects cannot be previewed in finder or QuickTime Player
- Motion 5: Imported Photoshop files in CMYK color may not behave as expected
- Mac OS X v10.6: Macs that use the 64-bit kernel
- Logic 9.x: Sound differences with GarageBand for iPad projects opened in older versions of Logic
- Aperture 3: About Video and Audio formats in Aperture
|Recent Articles and Reviews - Listing/links to articles and reviews you may have missed.|
|Previous 3 Days News Summaries:
Monday June 20, 2011
Friday June 17, 2011
Thursday June 16, 2011
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More