|Apple OS Updates downloads from March 24th, 2020 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | Storage | Video | Audio/Home Theater | Tips/macOS Updates/WiFi
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Your Tips, Upgrade Reports, Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|macOS 10.15.4 Update, Security Update 2020-002 for macOS Mojave and High Sierra [= skip =]|
(Update: On April 8th, Apple posted a macOS 10.15.4 Supplemental Update with bug fixes.)
(Info on original macOS 10.15.4 update release follows..)
macOS 10.15.4 available via software update or download links below.
(Also below are Downloads of Security Update 2020-002 for 10.14.6/10.13.6.)
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 introduces iCloud Drive folder sharing, Screen Time communications limits, Apple Music time-synced lyrics view, and more. The update also improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac.
macOS 10.15.4 also includes Safari 13.1.
- iCloud Drive folder sharing from Finder
- Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite, or to grant access to anyone with the folder link
- Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files
- Communication limits for controlling who your children can communicate with and be contacted by throughout the day and during downtime
- Playback control of music videos for your children
- Time-synced lyrics view for Apple Music, including the ability to jump to your favorite part of a song by clicking a line in lyrics view
- Option to import Chrome passwords into your iCloud Keychain for easy AutoFill of your passwords in Safari and across all your devices
- Controls for duplicating a tab and for closing all tabs to the right of the current tab
- HDR playback support on compatible computers for Netflix content
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
- Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
Pro Display XDR
- Customized reference modes that you can tailor to specific workflow needs by selecting from several color gamut, white point, luminance, and transfer function options
- Head pointer preference for moving a cursor on the screen based on the precise movements of your head
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- High Dynamic Range output to HDR10-compatible third-party displays and TVs connected with DisplayPort or HDMI.
(Note on HDR: Some users reporting problems with HDR on some displays. Turn HDR OFF in System Preferences-> Displays if you see problems. IMHO, HDR mode should be not be "always on" - it should only be enabled by HDR content, like HDR TVs do.)
- OAuth authentication support with Outlook.com accounts for improved security.
- CalDav migration support when upgrading to iCloud reminders on a secondary device.
- Resolves issue where text copied between apps may appear invisible when Dark Mode is active.
- Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly.
- Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders.
- Fixes an issue with screen brightness for the LG UltraFine 5K display after waking from sleep.
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT210642"
Note on macOS 10.15.4 and 3rd Party System Extensions
If you have a 3rd party System Extension installed, macOS 10.15.4 warns it will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. (For example, the developer of Little Snitch has a blog post that discusses this titled the Deprecation of Kernel Extensions, and notes they are going to release an update that will utilize the compatible replacement APIs. Watch for other developer posts on this topic.)
Note on Freezes when Copying Files after macOS 10.15.4 Update
Many users reported their Macs hang/freeze when copying files after the macOS 10.15.4 update. OWC has a blog post on the problem that includes a workaround until Apple posts a fix for the bug. See Why is my Mac Hanging when copying files after macOS 10.15.4 update.
Also released are Security Update 2020-002 Mojave, & Security Update 2020-002 High Sierra (downloads below). Here's the article on security fixes in macOS 10.15.4 and Security Updates 2020-002 for 10.14.6/10.13.6. (See below for info on Safari 13.1, included in macOS 10.15.4, available for macOS 10.14.6/10.13.6.)
FYI: If you use Nvidia's web graphics drivers for 10.13.6, the Security Update new build number requires a driver update.
(Update: See below for March 27th, 2020 Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6.)
= from my sponsor =
|Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for macOS 10.13.6 (build w/Security Update 2020-002) [= skip =]|
March 27, 2020 download page of graphics driver 3188.8.131.52.40.135 for macOS 10.13.6.
(No build number listed, but assumed for Security Update 2020-002 build.)
As before, download page info includes this installation note.
"Installation Note: The installer requires System Preferences to be launched during the installation process. Do not manually close System Preferences until after clicking Allow in the Security & Privacy Preferences, later in the process.
The "Additional Information" tab on the download page has a step-by-step install guide.
The installer also requires rebooting the system after the installation process. Do not launch any other applications until the process is complete and the system has been rebooted.
New in Release 3184.108.40.206.40.135"
(No new info, same notes on D/L page as previous drivers, so I won't repeat it here.)
If you can't select the page's 'Accept' terms/conditions button, here's a direct download link.
(As of post time, the above driver download page's CUDA link goes to CUDA 418.105 from Feb. 27th, 2019, but the latest Mac CUDA download as of 3/27/2020 is CUDA 418.163 from May 10th, 2019 - or check for a CUDA update in the Nvidia prefs.)
Previous macOS Nvidia drivers are on our Mac Nvidia Drivers downloads page.
|Safari 13.1, iOS/iPadOS 13.4, iOS 12.4.6, tvOS 13.4, watchOS 6.2/5.2.6, 3rd Gen Apple TV 7.5
|Recent Updates, Tips, DIY Upgrades and Repairs:|
List of Updates, DIY Upgrades, Repair Articles, Tips and more you may have missed. (Topics range from OS/software updates and troubleshooting, to hardware upgrades and repairs.)
= From my Sponsor, your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
= Back to Current News =
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 12 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / DISPLAY =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= AUDIO ITEMS =
Interfaces, Cables, Software, Speakers, Headphones & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases, Docks & More
NuGuard KX Cases
*Extreme* Drop Tested!